Tadd Wilson helps clients manage the difficult decisions when their technology interfaces with the law. When companies are ready to protect or grow their intellectual property (IP), Tadd can counsel those clients on the various types of IP protections, whether patents, trademarks, trade secrets, etc. and the different stages of protection, including patent and trademark filing, prosecution, inter partes reviews, licensing, and litigation. Tadd functions as a vital team member of each client’s business, helping clients secure market share while promoting growth and company profitability.
With a focus on business-driven decisions, Tadd assists in developing and building a strategy to create intellectual property that can be a shield (protecting market share and innovations from unauthorized use), a sword (enforcing intellectual property rights to generate revenue or secure licenses), or a trophy (generating intellectual property to help secure investment or industry accolades and marketing). With experience in numerous jurisdictions world-wide, Tadd also provides direction for global market development and international business growth.
Tadd’s practice includes specific technical experience with wi-fi and 5G communications, satellites, launch vehicles, medical devices, software applications, operating systems, user interfaces, mobile devices, electric propulsion, self-driving vehicles, supply chain management, mechanical devices, call centers, computer security, manufacturing systems, and business methods.
- University of Denver Sturm College of Law, 2002 (J.D.)
- Colorado State University, 1995 (M.B.A.)
- Clarkson University, 1993 (B.S.E.E.)
- Colorado, 2003
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2003
- Colorado Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
- Led a team of patent attorneys to transform a client’s patent portfolio from a few provisional filings to over 150 patent filings with only three months to critical bar date.
- Mined client information to generate and protect over 100 innovations in client’s crowded technology space.
- Reviewed and drafted an opinion letter that proved infringement of competitor product leading to lucrative licensing agreement for the client.
- Drafted a brief for the Federal Circuit, in In re Echostar, which resulted in universal protection of opinion counsel’s work product.
- Determined the strategy for and drafted inter partes review (IPR) filings that forced parts supplier for client to abandon patent infringement suit and submit to a license without the client having to pay royalties.
- Developed an IPR strategy for client that forced opposing party into a license agreement at less than 1 percent of initial damages request.
- Learn Your Rights In Colorado (LYRIC), Volunteer
- ProBoPat, Volunteer
- Best Lawyers in America, 2024
- Patent Buddy, Top Patent Prosecutor
- Colorado Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2009, 2011-2013
- Colorado Bar Association
- William E. Doyle American Inn of Court
- “Patent Litigation: Cases Present Unique Challenges to Juries, Litigators,” Law Week Colorado, May 15, 2017
- “Financial Analysis of Patent Investments,” Law Week Colorado, January 25, 2016