Kimberly Slay Holmes represents a broad range of corporate clients in all matters and phases of high-stakes and complex commercial litigation, from pre-trial motion practice to trials and appeals. Kim works closely with her clients to tailor winning strategies aimed at achieving their existing and future business goals. With more than 30 years of litigation and regulatory experience, Kim focuses her practice on governmental relations, commercial litigation, health care, insurance coverage, environmental, and state taxation.
Most recently, Kim served as General Counsel and Deputy Chief of Staff to Governor Mark Dayton and Lt. Governor Tina Smith. While serving in that capacity, she gained a deep understanding of government operations and developed relationships with key stakeholders. Kim’s various governmental positions provided her with the opportunity to cultivate strong working relationships with legislators, executive branch officials, and agency personnel. Kim leverages her extensive governmental experience to guide her clients through the complexities of federal, state, and local government. She can effectively help clients navigate a multitude of governmental, regulatory, and environmental issues such as permitting of natural resource operations, including mining, water quality, and air quality.
Kim has represented health care clients in a wide range of corporate and regulatory matters. Kim works closely with hospitals, health systems, medical providers, and other health care organizations to help them achieve their operational goals and objectives. Kim utilizes her governmental regulatory experience to assist health care providers with the complexities of regulatory compliance.
In addition, Kim has represented clients in insurance coverage and insurance fraud claims for many years. She has a proven track record of providing sound strategic advice in navigating difficult coverage disputes and successfully resolving insurance claims for policyholder clients through litigation, alternative dispute resolution, and negotiation. Kim represents clients in a variety of insurance coverage matters such as commercial general liability, errors and omissions, directors and officers, and professional liability. She advises insurance companies in preparing regulatory filings, prepares responses to inquiries or complaints from regulators, and assists with the preparation and negotiation of insurance applications required to obtain regulatory approval.
With extensive experience in state tax law, Kim understands how to navigate complex tax issues on behalf of her clients. She served as Assistant Commissioner for the Minnesota Department of Revenue and the Assistant Secretary for the Office of Legal Affairs for the Louisiana Department of Revenue. In both roles, she was responsible for managing civil and criminal tax litigation for the state. Kim uses her state tax experience to guide corporations and individuals through the process of resolving their tax disputes.
As an accomplished litigator and lecturer, Kim is well respected by her peers as an experienced courtroom practitioner. During her tenure as a law professor, she taught Evidence, Civil Procedure, and Pretrial Litigation.
Highlights of Kim’s experience include:
- General Counsel and Deputy Chief of Staff for Governor Mark Dayton and Lt. Governor Tina Smith of Minnesota
- Obtained the 16th largest trial verdict in the nation for insurance receivers of Louisiana and Oklahoma in a complex insurance fraud case in 2005
- Key litigator in trial team that obtained a jury verdict of $180 million for insurance receivers
- Appointed Tax Hearing Judge for the Louisiana Tax Commission
- Appointed Special Master to preside over complex probate cases
- Assisted medical professionals in forming professional business entities
- Served as in-house general counsel for startup companies
- Appointed to the Louisiana State Law Institute, composed of attorneys who are regarded as the top attorneys in their practice area
- Served as Minnesota’s Governor’s designee and advisor of the Minnesota State Board of Investment (SBI), the agency that invests and manages $80 billion in state assets
- Chaired the SBI Proxy Voting Committee and Administrative Committee
- Served on the Governor’s judicial team and provided recommendations to the Governor of Minnesota on Judicial Appointees
Presentations and Publications
- “Establishing Your New Business,” Community Foundation Series, May 2021
- “Selecting the Best Legal Structure for Your Business,” Community Foundation Series, March 2021
- “Strategies for Collaboratively Working with State Agencies,” Community Foundation Series, June 2020
- “Responding to Data Practice Request,” Minnesota State Data Practice Representatives, April 2015
- “Parent Attorneys Hot Topics,” Together We Can Conference, 2011
- “Taking Depositions Like a Pro,” Law Office Practice Series, Louis A Martinet Legal Society, 2010
- “Presenting and Winning Motions for Summary Judgements,” Louis A Martinet Legal Society, 2010
- “Juvenile Law Process,” Louisiana State Judges Conference, 2010
- “Representing Children and Parents,” Southern University Law Center, 2002
- “Ethics for the Tax Attorney,” Louisiana State Bar Association, 1998
- Board Member, Black Lion Foundation, 2019-2022
- Board Member, Minneapolis Southside Elementary, 2019-2021
- Member, Louisiana Court Improvement Committee, 2000-2010
- Board Member, Capital Area Court Appointed Special Advocates, 1993-1999
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- YWCA, Women of the Year Award, 2008
- Baton Rouge Youth Mentor of the Year Award, 2010
Contact Kim Holmes at 612.268.7028 or email@example.com.