Kevin Maguire is a litigator helping clients resolve eminent domain cases and other real property disputes. He helps condemning authorities in cases involving the acquisition of property for roads, schools, gas pipelines, and other infrastructure and public facility needs.
Kevin also represents property owners with government acquisition of private property for infrastructure needs including powerlines and public infrastructure. Kevin also helps clients deal with government regulation of land including inverse condemnation, zoning, and regulatory takings.
- Southern Methodist University School of Law, 1988 (J.D.)
- University of Oklahoma, 1985 (B.A.)
- Represented owners of a ranch who received an initial award from Special Commissioners of $2.1 million for their property obtain a $6.95 million judgment after a jury trial. The judgment was upheld on appeal.
- Represented a national developer which received a judgment for more than $4 million after a property acquisition encroached on a pad site and parking area.
- Served as lead counsel in condemnation proceedings involving major sports arena.
- Obtained a declaratory judgment for a defendant that cancellation of a billboard lease agreement after acquiring lessor’s property did not equate to a Constitutional taking / inverse condemnation.
- Obtained jury verdict of $676,000 for a defendant in a highway condemnation case after Special Commissioners originally awarded $2,750.
- Best Lawyers in America, 2022-2024
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Preeminent
- Irish Legal 100, 2017
- Texas Super Lawyers, 2012, 2014-2023
- “Impairment of Access,” CLE International, August 2017
- “How Courts Are Addressing Uncertainty of City Action,” IRWA Spring Seminar, April 2017
- “Legal Analysis of Access Damages in Eminent Domain Cases,” CLE International, February 2017
- “Land Use and Planning,” University of Texas School of Law, March 2012
- “Expert Witnesses from a Jury’s Perspective,” Forensic Expert Witness Association, 2009
- “The Right to Take: Public Purpose and Public Necessity,” IRWA Spring Seminar, April 2006
- “The Highest and Best Use of Real Property,” CLE International, October 2011
- “Presentation of Evidence in Eminent Domain Cases,” CLE International, October 2008
- “Expert Witnesses in Eminent Domain Cases,” CLE International, May 2007