John Browning views his role as a trial lawyer to be that of a problem-solver for his clients. Whether it’s analyzing a case’s potential for early resolution through a dispositive motion, working with a client to develop a defensive trial strategy, or putting his extensive writing and media experience to use in helping a client protect its brand in the public eye, John brings a pragmatic, problem-solving approach. And for matters that haven’t reached the stage of litigation, John proactively works with clients to stay out of the courtroom by assisting with drafting of policies, conducting internal investigations, and exploring alternative forms of dispute resolution like arbitration.
As a national thought leader in the area of technology and the law, John helps clients across a broad array of industries with the demands of doing business in the Digital Age. From data privacy issues to online defamation and business disparagement, John assists professionals and businesses with protecting not just tangible assets but their business reputations as well.
As the author of numerous articles and several books on social media’s impact on the law, John is frequently sought out by national and international media on the subject. He has appeared on television, radio, and podcasts discussing social networking and the law, and has been quoted in such publications as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, TIME magazine, Law360, the National Law Journal, and the ABA Journal.
John’s experience in private practice includes starting and operating his own small law firm in Texas.
In addition to his reported appellate decisions, John’s representative experience includes:
- Defeated $4 million breach of contract lawsuit brought by one national health care entity against another in weeklong jury trial.
- Obtained a permanent injunction (after a three-day trial) for a national leader in the animal health industry against several former employees who had violated a noncompete agreement.
- Set aside $26 million default judgment entered against Spanish gun manufacturer and North American distributors in shooting/product liability case, and later won summary judgment for all defendants.
Click here to view John’s additional experience.
- Cases and Materials on Social Media and the Law (Carolina Academic Press, forthcoming)
- Legal Ethics and Social Media: A Practitioner’s Handbook (with Jan Jacobowitz) (ABA Publishing), 2017
- More Party Talk (contributing author) (Texas Bar Books), 2016
- Essentials of E-Discovery (contributing author) (Texas Bar Books), 2014
- The Social Media Litigation Practice Guide (West Publishing), 2014
- Party Talk (contributing author) (Texas Bar Books), 2013
- The Lawyer’s Guide to Social Networking: Understanding Social Media’s Impact on the Law (Thomson Reuters/West Publishing), 2010
- Strategies for Successful Arbitration (contributing author) (Aspatore Press), 2008
- The Biggest Legal Mistakes Physicians Make and How to Avoid Them (contributing author) (SEAK Publishing), 2004
- Texas Employment Law (James Publishing, Since 2004, written and annually updated the chapter on non-competes and trade secrets for this 2 volume legal treatise)
Click here to view John’s additional publications.
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of Oklahoma
- Dallas Bar Association
- President, Rockwall County Bar Association, 2009-2010
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Professional Liability Defense Federation
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Immediate Past Chair, Texas Bar Journal Editorial Advisory Board
- Chair, Computer & Technology Section of the State Bar of Texas, 2019-present
- Member, Board of Trustees, Texas Supreme Court Historical Society, 2019-present
- Member, Professional Ethics Committee for the State Bar of Texas (appointed to 3-year term in October 2015; by the Supreme Court of Texas, and reappointed in October 2018)
- Member, The Federalist Society (Dallas Lawyers Chapter)
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Defense Counsel Journal
- Member, State Bar of Texas District 1A Grievance Committee, 2005-2011
- Member, State Bar of Texas Jury Services Committee, 2010-2013
- Member, Dallas Bar Association Judiciary Committee
- Chair, Dallas Bar Association Legal Ethics Committee, 2013-2014
- Master, William “Mac” Taylor American Inn of Court
- Legal Writing Institute
- Board Member, American Society of Legal Writers (SCRIBES)
- American Bar Association, Silver Gavel Award for Media and the Arts, 2022
- D Magazine, Best Lawyers in Dallas, 2019
- Litigation Counsel of America, Charter Fellow, 2007-present
- J.L. Turner Foundation’s Award for Contributions to Legal History, 2017
- Dallas Bar Foundation, Fellow, 2017
- Martindale-Hubbell, “AV Preeminent” rated (5.0 out of 5.0)
- Texas Monthly, Texas Super Lawyer, Civil Litigation Defense, 2005-2017
- Texas Monthly, Texas Super Lawyer, Corporate Counsel Edition, 2008-2017
- Texas Monthly, Texas Super Lawyer, Business Edition, 2011-2017
- Defense Research Institute, G. Duffield Smith Outstanding Publication of the Year Award, 2016
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow, 2016
- State Bar of Texas, President’s Certificate of Merit, 2016, for body of scholarship and contributions to the profession
- Texas Bar Foundation, Lola Wright Foundation Award, 2016, for lifetime achievement in and contributions to the advancement of legal ethics
- Texas Lawyer, Litigator of the Week, 2015
- College of the State Bar, Jim D. Bowmer Professionalism Award, 2014
- Burton Award for Distinguished Achievement in Legal Writing, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014
- American Lawyer, Top Technology Lawyer and Top Business Litigation Attorney, 2013
- Intellectual Property Institute, Elected Fellow, 2013
- Texas Bar Foundation, Dan Rugeley Price Memorial Award, 2013 (presented annually to a Texas lawyer who “exemplifies the qualities of an accomplished legal writer and researcher, a talented and dedicated practicing lawyer, a servant of the profession as a volunteer and an advocate on its behalf”)
- Texas Bar CLE, Standing Ovation Award, 2012, as outstanding volunteer and speaker
- Texas Bar Foundation, Outstanding Law Review Article of the Year Award, 2012
- Texas Bar College, Outstanding CLE Article of the Year Award, 2012
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance, Best Outside Counsel of the Year Award (one of three national finalists), 2012
- Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow, 2010
- International Association of Defense Counsel, Elected Member, 2010
- American Law Institute, Elected Member, 2009
Contact John Browning at 972.324.0320 or email@example.com.