John Browning views his role as a trial lawyer to be that of a problem-solver for his clients. Whether it’s analyzing a case’s potential for early resolution through a dispositive motion, working with a client to develop a defensive trial strategy, or putting his extensive writing and media experience to use in helping a client protect its brand in the public eye, John brings a pragmatic, problem-solving approach. And for matters that haven’t reached the stage of litigation, John proactively works with clients to stay out of the courtroom by assisting with drafting of policies, conducting internal investigations, and exploring alternative forms of dispute resolution like arbitration.
As a national thought leader in the area of technology and the law, John helps clients across a broad array of industries with the demands of doing business in the Digital Age. From data privacy issues to online defamation and business disparagement, John assists professionals and businesses with protecting not just tangible assets but their business reputations as well.
As the author of numerous articles and several books on social media’s impact on the law, John is frequently sought out by national and international media on the subject. He has appeared on television, radio, and podcasts discussing social networking and the law, and has been quoted in such publications as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, TIME magazine, Law360, the National Law Journal, and the ABA Journal.
John’s experience in private practice includes starting and operating his own small law firm in Texas.
- The University of Texas School of Law, 1989 (J.D.)
- Rutgers University, 1986 (B.A.)
- Texas, 1989
- Oklahoma, 2009
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. Claims Court
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Defeated $4 million breach of contract lawsuit brought by one national health care entity against another in weeklong jury trial.
- Obtained a permanent injunction (after a three-day trial) for a national leader in the animal health industry against several former employees who had violated a noncompete agreement.
- Set aside $26 million default judgment entered against Spanish gun manufacturer and North American distributors in shooting / product liability case, and later won summary judgment for all defendants.
- Won dispositive motion in trademark infringement case between competing restaurant chains.
- Successfully defended medical supplier / distributor in two-week jury trial of noncompete/misappropriation of trade secrets case.
- Obtained a full defense verdict for utilities company in electrocution case.
- Obtained a summary judgment (later affirmed on appeal) for owners of an apartment complex in a wrongful death case.
- Obtained a summary judgment (later affirmed on appeal) in defamation lawsuit brought against two executives at a national telecommunications firm.
- Directed verdict for attorney / law firm in legal malpractice case.
- Obtained a summary judgment (later affirmed on appeal) for national security guard company in premises liability case.
- Obtained dismissal of unfair competition lawsuit brought against health care consulting firm and national health care provider.
- Obtained defense verdicts in commercial arbitration proceedings for national manufactured housing entities in cases alleging deceptive trade practices and construction defects.
- Successfully defended numerous individuals, including children and active duty members of the military, wrongfully sued by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) for copyright infringement for alleged music downloading / file sharing.
- American Bar Association, Silver Gavel Award for Media and the Arts, 2022
- D Magazine, Best Lawyers in Dallas, 2019
- Litigation Counsel of America, Charter Fellow, 2007-present
- J.L. Turner Foundation’s Award for Contributions to Legal History, 2017
- Dallas Bar Foundation, Fellow, 2017
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Preeminent
- Texas Monthly, Texas Super Lawyer, Civil Litigation Defense, 2005-2017
- Texas Monthly, Texas Super Lawyer, Corporate Counsel Edition, 2008-2017
- Texas Monthly, Texas Super Lawyer, Business Edition, 2011-2017
- Defense Research Institute, G. Duffield Smith Outstanding Publication of the Year Award, 2016
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow, 2016
- State Bar of Texas, President’s Certificate of Merit, 2016, for body of scholarship and contributions to the profession
- Texas Bar Foundation, Lola Wright Foundation Award, 2016, for lifetime achievement in and contributions to the advancement of legal ethics
- Texas Lawyer, Litigator of the Week, 2015
- College of the State Bar, Jim D. Bowmer Professionalism Award, 2014
- Burton Award for Distinguished Achievement in Legal Writing, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014
- American Lawyer, Top Technology Lawyer and Top Business Litigation Attorney, 2013
- Intellectual Property Institute, Elected Fellow, 2013
- Texas Bar Foundation, Dan Rugeley Price Memorial Award, 2013 (presented annually to a Texas lawyer who “exemplifies the qualities of an accomplished legal writer and researcher, a talented and dedicated practicing lawyer, a servant of the profession as a volunteer and an advocate on its behalf”)
- Texas Bar CLE, Standing Ovation Award, 2012, as outstanding volunteer and speaker
- Texas Bar Foundation, Outstanding Law Review Article of the Year Award, 2012
- Texas Bar College, Outstanding CLE Article of the Year Award, 2012
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance, Best Outside Counsel of the Year Award (one of three national finalists), 2012
- Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow, 2010
- International Association of Defense Counsel, Elected Member, 2010
- American Law Institute, Elected Member, 2009
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of Oklahoma
- Dallas Bar Association
- Rockwall County Bar Association, President, 2009-2010
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Professional Liability Defense Federation
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Texas Bar Journal, Editorial Advisory Board, Immediate Past Chair
- State Bar of Texas, Computer & Technology Section, Chair, 2019-present
- Texas Supreme Court Historical Society, Board of Trustees, 2019-present
- State Bar of Texas, Professional Ethics Committee, appointed to three-year term in October 2015 by the Supreme Court of Texas, and reappointed in October 2018
- The Federalist Society, Dallas Lawyers Chapter
- Defense Counsel Journal, Editorial Advisory Board
- State Bar of Texas, District 1A Grievance Committee, 2005-2011
- State Bar of Texas, Jury Services Committee, 2010-2013
- Dallas Bar Association, Judiciary Committee
- Dallas Bar Association, Legal Ethics Committee, Chair, 2013-2014
- William “Mac” Taylor American Inn of Court, Master
- Legal Writing Institute
- American Society of Legal Writers (SCRIBES), Board Member
- Cases and Materials on Social Media and the Law, Carolina Academic Press
- Legal Ethics and Social Media: A Practitioner’s Handbook, ABA Publishing, 2017
- More Party Talk, Texas Bar Books, 2016
- Essentials of E-Discovery, Texas Bar Books, 2014
- The Social Media Litigation Practice Guide, West Publishing, 2014
- Party Talk, Texas Bar Books, 2013
- The Lawyer’s Guide to Social Networking: Understanding Social Media’s Impact on the Law, Thomson Reuters / West Publishing, 2010
- Strategies for Successful Arbitration, Aspatore Press, 2008
- The Biggest Legal Mistakes Physicians Make and How to Avoid Them, SEAK Publishing, 2004
- Texas Employment Law, James Publishing, 2004-present