This position is responsible for providing paralegal support to multiple attorneys in our Special Districts practice group. The ideal candidate will possess superb organizational skills, the ability to handle a multitude of tasks simultaneously, and to adapt quickly to meet deadlines. Spencer Fane offers an excellent benefits package and an opportunity to work in a challenging and collaborative environment.
- Meet with attorneys and proponents of organization of special district; maintain oral and written communication with clients throughout process of organization
- Prepare comprehensive schedule of organizational process and statutory and constitutional deadlines; monitor process to ensure compliance with all deadlines
- Prepare, or request and obtain, review with attorney, and timely file documentation for service plan approval with municipality or county, appropriate county clerk and recorder, division of local government and state auditor; maintain oral and written communication with jurisdiction; handle any necessary amendments
- Coordinate the organizational election to/and including preparing comprehensive schedule of election procedure and statutory and constitutional deadlines; monitor process for each special district conducting election; coordinate and ensure compliance with all deadlines and term limitation restriction of elected officials
- Prepare board meeting agendas and meeting packets, and arrange for timely meeting notice postings.
- Assist with preparation, and review with attorney or district accountant, annual budgets and audits or audit exemption requests; monitor compliance with all statutory and constitutional requirements, restrictions, and deadlines
- Handle file maintenance and organization
- Demonstrate effective teamwork, and work cooperatively with other departments and individuals in the firm
- Track and record time in WebView to ensure services provided are appropriately charged
QUALIFICATIONS / SKILLS
- Undergraduate degree and/or paralegal certificate or equivalent experience required
- 2 years of relevant Special Districts experience preferred
- Ability to prioritize and coordinate projects and cases for more than one attorney simultaneously
- Must cope successfully with demands from attorneys and remain calm under pressure
- Willingness to work long hours when needed
- Must conduct all business in a confidential manner
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel required
- Position is generally sedentary in nature; involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time
- Ability to occasionally or routinely lift up 10 – 20 lbs. required
- Ability to talk and hear required
- Ability to perform repetitive motions required
- Ability to sit, stand and walk required
- Ability to reach, lift, climb, balance, stoop and crouch required
- Ability to see and read PC screens, detect color coding, read fine print, and/or normal type size print
Please send resume to email@example.com.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.