The Director of Finance serves in a key leadership role within the Firm’s Finance & Accounting Department. This role is based in Kansas City, but supports Firm-wide initiatives for all of our locations. The Director of Finance will lead all aspects of the Firm’s accounting, billing, accounts payable, financial systems and any other accounting activities that assist the Firm in achieving its financial goals. This role is also responsible for providing timely and accurate financial information to the Firm’s leadership for strategic decision-making purposes. The Director of Finance will establish and implement short and long-term departmental goals and objectives and serve as a trusted advisor to the Chief Financial and Administrative Officer.
*Only local candidates will be considered
- Manage the accuracy and productivity of day-to-day activities of accounts payable, cash disbursements, invoicing/billing, cash application, payroll and fixed asset records.
- Develop and implement the appropriate accounting policies and related internal control processes.
- Engage in continuous improvement efforts to ensure processes are efficiently executed and proactively manage change with the staff.
- Provide reports and interpret the results of operations. This includes the preparation of regular financial, operating data reports, and special reports as required.
- Directly manage the Accounting Managers, Financial Systems Administrator, and Financial Analyst. Oversee the accounting department staff on the planning and directing of assignments, training needs for specific job responsibilities and manage staff performance.
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with internal and external stakeholders including, but not limited to the Firm’s Partners, banks, and vendors.
- Oversee the preparation of reports for the Firm’s annual tax returns and ensure the timely payment of all Firm state and local taxes.
- Oversee the preparation of annual operating and capital budgets.
- Execute other special projects as assigned by the CFAO and senior leadership.
QUALIFICATIONS / SKILLS
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required
- CPA preferred
- 7-10 years’ experience in financial leadership, with at least three of those years spent as a Controller or Director
- Law firm experience highly preferred
- Working knowledge of law firm accounting systems, specifically Aderant and Intapp
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Proven expertise in the management of an accounting staff and development of accounting policies and procedures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Confidence and experience in communicating with various departments at all levels across the Firm.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- The ability to prioritize and multi-task with a strong attention to detail.
- Persistence, initiative and the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Reliability, flexibility and the ability to operate with a high degree of confidentiality.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and advanced Excel skills.
- Travel up to 20%
- Position is generally sedentary in nature; involves sitting most of the time, but may involve the need for inter-office mobility for brief periods of time
- Ability to occasionally or routinely lift up to 10 – 20 lbs
- Ability to efficiently communicate
- Ability to perform repetitive motions required
- Ability to see and read PC screens, detect color coding, read fine print, and/or normal type size print
Please send resume to email@example.com.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Our current COVID-19 precaution(s)
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place
- Significant work from home support