Wale Akinmoladun represents school districts, insurance companies, financial institutions and other clients involved in state and federal litigation. He also works to settle differences by using dispute resolution to anticipate, avoid, and resolve litigation.
Wale actively engages and collaborates with clients, at the earliest opportunity and throughout the service provided, to understand his client’s needs, desires and objectives. His clients have received favorable results in cases alleging benefit plan denials under ERISA, delinquent fringe benefit employer contributions, employment discrimination and retaliation, personal injury, property damage, construction defect and payment disputes, among other allegations and claims.
While in law school, Wale worked as a research assistant for the late Patrick A. Randolph Jr., who was highly regarded for his expertise in real estate and development, both domestically and abroad. Wale updated the Friedman on Leases treatise by reviewing federal and state cases regarding commercial and residential leases.
Highlights of Wale Akinmoladun’s experience include:
- Successfully defended the Kansas Department of Health and Environment/Division of Health Care Finance and a managed care organization in the dismissal of a provider’s Medicaid benefit recovery claims; administrative ruling affirmed on appeal.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a school district where the plaintiff alleged premises liability; judgment affirmed on appeal.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a school district and a building administrator where the plaintiff alleged bullying, discrimination, and retaliation claims.
- Obtained several summary judgments on behalf of plan providers in ERISA actions alleging benefit denial claims.
- Second-chaired federal jury trial representing a plaintiff who alleged civil rights violations under 42 U.S.C. § 1983.
- Second-chaired federal jury trial in the successful defense of a national railroad carrier against personal injury and employment retaliation claims; jury verdict in plaintiff’s favor was less than 18 percent of total demand, and verdict was reversed and remanded on appeal.
- Successfully represented two leading railroad companies and a Kansas-based railroad association in proceedings before the Surface Transportation Board in Washington, D.C. to preserve historical track rights.
- Successfully defended a major hotel chain in a wrongful death action that alleged a defective balcony by conducting multiple interviews of key managers, employees and witnesses, which resulted in a favorable settlement more than a year before trial.
Spencer Fane Leadership
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee, Past Member
- Ronald McDonald House Charities of Kansas City
- Board of Directors, 2022-Present
- Programs Committee, 2021-Present
- Kanbe’s Markets, Development Committee, 2021-present
- Kansas City Chamber of Commerce’s Centurions Leadership Program, Fall Class of 2020
- Co-chaired Task Force of the Year: Education
- UMKC Law School, Professor Bob Downs Scholarship Golf Tournament Committee
- Northland Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Well-Being Committee, 2021-present
- KCMBF’s Student Law Academy Mentor, 2021
- Bar Leadership Academy Graduate, 2013
- Jackson County Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Kansas Bar Association
- The Best Lawyers in America, Ones to Watch, 2022
- Missouri Lawyers Media, “Up & Coming” Honoree, 2021
- Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers, Rising Star, Insurance Coverage, 2021
- Lawyers of Color 2014 Hot List Honoree, Midwest Region
- The Missouri Bar Pro Bono Wall of Fame, 2013-2015, 2017
- Case Note, Video Software Dealers Ass’n v. Schwarzenegger, 41 Urb. Law. 597 (2009)
Contact Wale Akinmoladun at 816.292.8231 or email@example.com.