- Consistently prevailed at special education due process hearings, and in the process, helped to develop favorable legal precedents in federal courts that have resulted in a substantial decrease in the number of such claims being filed.
- In a proceeding before the Kansas Board of Tax Appeals, Joe obtained hundreds of thousands of dollars in property tax refunds for a landfill owner based on a flawed appraisal by taxing authorities.
- Joe won a jury trial in which a developer claimed damages of over $3 million arising from the condemnation of real estate for an elementary school.
- He successfully defended against statutory and constitutional challenges the right of local school districts to receive over $36 million in sales tax revenues that had been approved by voters.
- Joe has successfully defended school districts throughout the region in administrative due process hearings in which the adequacy of educational programs for disabled children have been challenged.
- Joe successfully defended school administrators against a claim that they violated a student’s rights in the course of taking disciplinary action against the student for making threats of physical violence, obtaining a jury verdict in favor of those administrators.
- Joe obtained a defense award in an arbitration arising out of a contractual dispute between a health maintenance organization and a hospital, in which the total damages claimed were over $22 million dollars.
- Joe successfully defended the owner of a themed hotel against claims of trade dress infringement.
- Joe prevailed in a case before the Kansas Supreme Court challenging over $1 million in contempt fines imposed against a client.
- Joe successfully argued for the dismissal of a suit alleging that a local school district breached a contract involving the purchase of real estate intended for use as a school, where the school district later sold the property at a profit when it determined the property was no longer suitable for a school due to surrounding development.
- Joe obtained a half million dollar judgment, upheld on appeal, for a retailer’s loss of business profits stemming from the condemnation of a shopping center.