Troy Rackham defends hospitals, nursing homes, long-term care facilities and other health care organizations in a wide variety of matters. He also counsels healthcare providers and attorneys on regulatory, employment and ethics matters.
Troy frequently presents to nurses, risk managers and other health care providers on a variety of medical and legal issues. He teaches courses for both legal and medical professionals covering the risks and benefits of using social media, technology and electronic medical records.
As a litigator, Troy handles complex litigation involving the reputation and livelihood of legal professionals, healthcare providers, and businesses of all types. He authors a treatise on Colorado Legal Malpractice litigation, which is updated annually, and regularly counsels attorneys on ethics issues.
In addition, Troy has extensive experience in appellate advocacy. He has orally argued and prepared briefs in scores of appellate cases, most of which involved claims against hospitals, physicians, healthcare systems or attorneys.
When not handling complex matters for clients, Troy regularly volunteers his time working with community organizations, as well as serving as pro bono counsel to clients in need, children’s organizations and through Metro Volunteer Lawyers.
Presentations and Publications
- Quoted, “Avoiding Direct Negligence When ‘the Master Answers’,” Law Week Colorado, March 2017
- Interview, “Today’s Legal Industry Faces a Myriad of Tech-Related Challenges,” ColoradoBiz, September 30, 2016
- Participant, “Q2 Managing Partner Roundtable: Putting Technology to Work,” Law Week Colorado, July 2016
- Speaker, “Trends in Legal Malpractice: Cases, Statutes, and Rules,” Preventing Legal Malpractice 2016 – Managing Risks, March 17, 2016
- Speaker, “Trends in Legal Malpractice: Cases, Statutes, and Rules,” Preventing Legal Malpractice 2016 – Staying Above the Line, March 11, 2016
- Speaker, “Employment Decisions and Documentation,” July 22, 2015
- Speaker, “Mock Trials,” Worldwide President’s Organization Education Event, April 16, 2015
- Speaker, “Dazed and Confused,” Colorado Bar Association Litigation Section, April 21, 2014
- Author, “Report Regarding The 2013 ABA Mid-Year House Of Delegates Meeting In Dallas, Texas,” CBACLE LegalConnection, May 2, 2013
- Speaker, “Competency and Confidentiality in Lawyers’ Use of Technology: What the New Changes to the Model Rules of Professional Conduct Mean for Colorado Attorneys,” Colorado Bar; September 12, 2012
- Speaker, “Peer Review and Quality Management Privileges,” Colorado Defense Lawyers’ Annual Meeting; July 26, 2012
- Speaker, “Malpractice for the Young Lawyer (Ethics),quot; Colorado Defense Lawyers’ Annual Meeting; July 26, 2012
- Speaker, “Ethics for School Lawyers,” Colorado Association of School District Counsel; June 1, 2012
- Speaker, “Trial Preparation from Start to Finish,” IPE program to Colorado paralegals, May 15, 2012
- Speaker, “Colorado’s New Pilot Project Rules,” Colorado Association of Legal Administrators, April 19, 2012
- Speaker, “Malpractice on Facebook: Professional Liability and Ethical Risks in Using Social Media,” Colorado Bar; April 4, 2012
- Speaker, “Nursing Liability in the Facebook Era,” Association of periOperative Registered Nurses (“AORN”), 59th Annual National Congress in New Orleans, March 26, 2012
- Speaker, “Trends in Legal Malpractice Litigation,” Preventing Legal Malpractice Seminar hosted by the Colorado Bar Association CLE; January 26, 27 and February 3 2012
- Pro bono counsel, various children’s organizations
- Metro Volunteer Lawyers
- Member, Colorado Board of Governors, Colorado Bar Association
- Member, Professional Liability committee, Ethics committee and Labor and Employment Law committee, Colorado Bar Association
- Member, Denver Bar Association
- Barrister, William Doyle Inn of Court
- Delegate, American Bar Association House of Delegates
- Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation, 2017, 2019
- Best Lawyers in America®, Legal Malpractice Law-Defendants, Medical Malpractice Law-Defendants, 2012-2017, 2019
- Colorado Super Lawyers®, 2014-2019
- Colorado Rising Stars®, Personal Injury Defense: Medical Malpractice, 2009-2013
- Denver Bar Association’s Young Lawyer of the Year, 2012
- COBALT, Colorado Bar Leadership Training, 2011
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated (the highest rating available), by Martindale-Hubbell
Contact Troy Rackham at 303.839.3860 or email@example.com.