Thomas Hiatt is a trial attorney who helps businesses in all aspects of litigation including consulting pre-lawsuit, conducting and managing e-discovery, engaging in motion practice, and trying cases to verdict. He has experience in construction defect and payment disputes, anti-trust litigation, collection work, and financial services litigation involving fraudulent transfer and piercing the corporate veil theories.
Thomas understands the costs and uncertainties associated with litigation and manages litigation matters in the most cost-effective manner available. This includes actively engaging in mediation and arbitration where appropriate.
To help his clients avoid litigation, Thomas works with them on day-to-day issues including the review and negotiation of construction contracts and on a multitude of other issues that may affect a business on a day-to-day basis.
Highlights of Thomas Hiatt’s experience include:
- Represented commercial roofing product manufacturer in two-week jury trial in the District Court of Johnson County, Kansas involving anti-trust and tortious interference theories and over a million dollars in alleged damages. Received a complete defense verdict.
- Represented contractor in dispute with owner and multiple unpaid subcontractors relating to owner’s imposition of liquidated damages.
- Represented and counseled various general contractors, subcontractors, and material suppliers on their lien rights in Kansas, Missouri, and other states throughout the Midwest.
- Co-Chair of Social Committee for Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Worked in conjunction with the Missouri Public Defenders Program in representing a client pro bono on assault charges
- Involved in University of Kansas’ 1L Mentor Program
- JD – University of Kansas Law School in 2015
- CALI award in Administrative Law and Business Organizations
- Research Assistant for Professors Laura Hines and Christopher Drahozal
- Member of Moot Court Council
- University of Kansas, 2012 (B.A.), with Distinction
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2022
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers®, Rising Star, 2018-2019
Contact Thomas Hiatt at 816.292.8366 or firstname.lastname@example.org.