Stacy Harper counsels healthcare organizations on regulatory compliance reimbursement and data security issues. Using her prior experience as a health care compliance officer, she develops strategies for clients to mitigate risk and improve compliance.
Stacy assesses risks and develops plans for healthcare providers, health plans, employer sponsors of self-insured health plans, and other businesses to coordinate data privacy, data security, and data breach response in accordance with HIPAA, HITECH, and state data laws. Through evaluation of structure, industry, policies, contracts, processes and education, Stacy provides resources necessary for her clients to understand and manage data risks in the current cyber threat environment. When a security incident does occur, she frequently coordinates the team to provide an effective response to mitigate harm to the organization and its clients.
Additionally, Stacy aids her clients in the navigation of medical billing and coding standards, Stark Anti-Kickback, and other state and federal reimbursement laws. She is a Certified Professional Coder with first-hand knowledge of the legal and practical reimbursement structures for government and private payors. Because regulatory requirements can vary depending on the type of provider organization, Stacy’s clients appreciate her ability to analyze the interplay between licensure and reimbursement requirements to provide unique counsel to each organization.
She regularly writes and lecturers on topics ranging from health care data privacy and security to medical billing and coding. Stacy currently serves on the AAPC Legal Advisory Board.
Presentations and Publications
- “The Shifting Federal Analysis of Referral Relationships in Healthcare,” Compliance Today, August 2019
- “Are Your Vendors Putting You at Risk”, Healthcare Business Monthly, April 2018.
- “Comprehend Comprehensive Care for Joint Replacement Payment,” Healthcare Business Monthly, February 2016
- “Building a HIPAA Toolbox,” Healthcare Business Monthly, May 2015
- “Building a HIPAA Toolbox,” Healthcare Business Monthly, April 2015
- “Building a HIPAA Toolbox,” Healthcare Business Monthly, November 2014
- “E&M Benchmarking: Strategies to Reduce Your Audit Risk,” Coding Edge, American Academy of Professional Coders, May 2012
- “HIPAA: Can Your Practice Account for Success?” Medical Practice Digest, American Academy of Professional Coders, July 2011
- “HITECH in a Nutshell,” Medical Practice Digest, American Academy of Professional Coders, June 2011
- Legal Manual, Missouri Health Information Management Association, 2011
- “HIPAA HITECH in a Nutshell,” Coding Edge, American Academy of Professional Coders, June 2010
- “Looking to the Future: Alternative Payment Models”, AAPC of Kansas City, Kansas City, MO, August 2018.
- “Data Privacy and Security Ethical Obligations” Olmsted County Law Library, Rochester, MN, July 2018.
- “Compliance Considerations in Vendor Management”, Healthcon, Orlando, FL, April 2018.
- “Legal Panel”, Healthcon, Orlando, FL, April 2018.
- “Data Privacy and Cybersecurity Seminar”, Kansas City, MO, April 2018.
- “Compliance, Individual Accountability, and Coder Ethics,” Minnesota AAPC, Rochester, MN, December 2017.
- “Managing Business Associates and Other Vendors”, Missouri Society of Health Care Attorneys, Osage Beach, MO, November 2017.
- “Data Security Seminar,” Rochester, MN, September 2017.
- “Legal Panel” Healthcon, Las Vegas, NV, May 2017
- “Understanding Your Non-Physician Practitioners,” Healthcon, Las Vegas, NV, May 2017
- “Data Security for Attorneys,” Minnesota 3rd District Bar Association, Rochester, MN, June 2016
- “Business Expo: Stark & Anti Kickback,” AAPC Healthcon, Orlando, FL, April 2016
- “Incident Response,” Cyber Liability Summit, Washington, DC, September 2015
- “Preparing for the Transition to the ICD-10 Code Set,” Bloomberg BNA Webinar, September 2015
- “Surviving a Breach in Today’s Privacy Climate,” Minnesota Bar Association Health Law Section’s CLE, Saint Paul, MN, September 2015
- “HIPAA and Social Media Best Practices for Hospitals,” Webinar, Kansas Hospital Association, July 2015
- “EHR Discovery Issues,” Missouri Hospital Association Regional Corporate Counsel Meeting, Jefferson City, MO, May 2015
- “HIPAA Update for Coders,” AAPC Kansas City, Kansas City Missouri, April 2015
- “Legal Panel,” AAPC National Conference, Las Vegas, NV, April 2015
- “There’s a Complaint in the Box. . . Now What?” AAPC National Conference, Las Vegas, NV, April 2015
- “2015 OIG Workplan”, Lawrence AAPC Chapter, February 16, 2015
- “Cyberliability,” Kansas City Chapter ACC, Kansas City, MO, February 2015
- “Medical Revenue Solutions: Clinical Documentation & Electronic Records, Lunch ‘n Learn, October 29, 2014
- “Patient Rights & Privacy: Impact on Medical Staff”, KAMSS, August 15, 2014
- “Current Compliance Issues in Healthcare”, AAPC KC Annual Conference, August 8, 2014
- “We’ve Been Hacked: Data Breach Implications for Your Organization,” Minnesota ACCA In-House Counsel Conference, Minneapolis, MN, June 2014
- Cross-Selling Health Care Conversations, April 22,2014
- “HIPAA: Impact on Corporate Compliance,” AAPC National Conference, Nashville, TN, April 2014
- “Polishing Your HIPAA Compliance: Strategies to Shine,” GKCMMA Annual Conference, April 2014
- “HIPAA Privacy: Current Developments,” University of Denver Law School, April 2014
- “HIPAA”, Topeka Medical Managers, March 27, 2014
- Speaker, University of Kansas Law School, February 24, 2014
- “Medicare and Reimbursement Issues,” National Business Institute Health Law CLE, Overland Park, KS, January 2014
- Data Security and Cyberliability
- Data Breach Management
- Healthcare Compliance and Audit Risk
- Corporate Compliance
- Stark, Anti-Kickback and Healthcare Contracting
- Fraud and Abuse
- Meaningful Use
- Value Based Purchasing
- HIPAA Compliance
- American Academy of Professional Coders, Legal Advisory Board, 2014 to present
- American Academy of Professional Coders, National Advisory Board, 2013-2015
- Certified Professional Coder, American Academy of Professional Coders
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Greater Kansas City Society of Healthcare Attorneys
- Kansas Association of Hospital Attorneys
- Missouri Society of Health Care Attorneys, Board of Directors, 2012-2016
- Missouri Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Kansas Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Minnesota Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Selected for inclusion in Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers®, Rising Star, 2018-2019
Contact Stacy Harper at 913.327.5120 or firstname.lastname@example.org.