Pete Heaven is a Partner in the firm’s Real Estate Solutions Group who helps residential and commercial real estate developers understand the legalese of government in land use by drawing upon his experience as City Attorney of the City of Merriam, Kan., for 18 years.
Pete’s experience in local government provides his clients with an insiders’ perspective and gives him an advantage when presenting proposals to cities and counties for planning, zoning, platting, public incentives, tax abatement and private activity bonds. He provides counsel to contractors, helping them with contract negotiation, bidding and construction disputes.
Outside of his practice, Pete frequently presents to professional and civic groups, and has served as co-editor of the Kansas Bar Association’s Real Estate Handbook.
- American College of Mortgage Attorneys
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- American Bar Association
- Johnson County Bar Association; Board of Directors, 1988 – 1989
- Kansas Bar Association; Executive Committee, Real Estate, Probate & Trust Law Section, 1986-present
- Johnson County Airport Commission, Chairman, 1999; Member, 1993 – 2002
- Baptist Medical Center; Board of Trustees, 1988 – 1998; Chairman, 1995
- Past President, Shawnee Mission Rotary Club
- Past President, Safehome, Inc.
- Past President, Shawnee Rotary Club
- Transportation Lawyers Association, 2010-present
- Named “Kansas City, Kan. Litigation – Land Use and Zoning Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers, 2012
- Selected among The Best Lawyers in America®, 2003 – present
- Selected as Best Lawyers Real Estate Lawyer of the Year for eastern Kansas, 2010
- Selected as “Leading Lawyer” by Chambers USA, 2003 – present
- Selected for Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers®, 2005 – present
- Outstanding Service Award, Kansas Bar Association, 2004
- Selected one of “Kansas City’s Top Lawyers,” Kansas City Magazine, 2002
- Fellow, American College of Real Estate Lawyers (ACREL)
- Fellow, American College of Mortgage Attorneys (ACMA)
- Fellow, Kansas Bar Association Foundation
- Martindale Hubbell® “AV” Rating
Contact Pete Heaven at 913.327.5166 or email@example.com.