Nate Barker focuses his practice on defending insurance companies and their insureds in both first-party and third-party claims, including cases involving allegations of bad faith and unreasonable claim handling. Prior to joining Spencer Fane, Nate worked at two Denver-area firms where he gained a wide variety of experience in all phases of civil litigation. He has conducted numerous hearings and trials and managed various components of the discovery phase of cases, including managing document review and production in complex matters. Nate has obtained dismissal and summary judgment in a variety of cases and successfully defended those outcomes on appeal. Nate recognizes that attention to detail is critically important in representing clients in complex litigation and excels in evaluating strategies and counseling clients to achieve desired outcomes.
Nate has twice been recognized as a Colorado Super Lawyers Rising Star for his work as a top rated insurance coverage attorney in Denver.
A strong believer in the importance of community service, Nate currently serves as the volunteer Secretary of the Board of Directors and a member of the Fund Development Committee for SafeHouse Denver. Nate previously served as a volunteer board member of both the Curious Theatre Company of Denver and Hosteling International USA, Rocky Mountain Council.
Highlights of Nate’s experience include:
- Negotiated settlements through informal negotiations, mediation, and other alternative dispute resolution conferences in high-stakes cases involving serious bodily injuries and massive damages, most significantly including obtaining a nuisance value settlement of a lawsuit in which a personal injury plaintiff sought over $2 million.
- Won dismissal of a commercial breach of contract matter based on lack of personal jurisdiction.
- Won dismissal of a personal injury lawsuit arising out of a well-site accident that resulted in serious injuries under the Colorado Workers’ Compensation Act’s statutory employer doctrine.
- Won summary judgment in a wrongful death lawsuit involving allegations that a commercial trucking client engaged in a conspiracy to negligently transport materials and which resulted in an eight-figure verdict against the remaining defendants.
- Won summary judgment regarding coverage in two matters involving hail damage insurance claims, both of which were upheld on appeal.
- Won summary judgment by demonstrating that, under the Colorado Premises Liability Act, a real property owner did not have actual or constructive knowledge of an alleged defect on the property that resulted in significant bodily injuries.
- Briefed several appellate matters in Colorado state and federal appeals courts and the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Denver Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- Colorado Defense Lawyers Association
- Colorado Super Lawyers Rising Stars
- Insurance Coverage, 2020-2021
Contact Nate Barker at 303.839.3792 or email@example.com.