Matt Dalton helps two distinct groups in the creation and operation of special districts.
First, Matt helps developers create taxing districts for their proposed developments – commercial, residential, or mixed use – so they can use tax revenue and municipal debt to help finance their project and provide ongoing services once the development is complete.
Second, he helps existing special districts such as metropolitan districts, fire protection districts, water and sanitation districts, business improvement districts and intergovernmental authorities to ensure that they are run properly and are able to address the short and long term operation and maintenance of their public facilities, services and programs for the benefit of their property owners and residents.
Matt is the Chair of Spencer Fane’s Special Districts team, and a member of the firm’s executive committee.
Highlights of Matt Dalton’s experience include:
- Organized special districts statewide, from a 35-acre housing development in Thornton to the 22,000-acre Banning Lewis Ranch in Colorado Springs as well as districts in Durango, Vail, Loveland and Denver.
- Existing clients include the Meridian Metropolitan District covering the Meridian business Center in Douglas County, South Metro Fire Rescue, and Western Eagle County Metro Rec District in Eagle County.
- During the past three years Matt has served as an expert witness in numerous actions involving special districts, their boards of directors and their statutory powers and abilities.
Publications and Presentations
- Special Districts Utilities and Transportation Running with the Land, Continuing Legal Education in Colorado, 1984
- Author and Speaker Vehicles for Funding and Development of Water Systems, Water Law for the Real Estate Practitioner, Continuing Legal Education in Colorado, 1986
- Author and Speaker Director Conflicts The Effect of Disclosure, The Colorado Lawyer, March and April 1988
- Author Continuing Legal Education in Colorado, Inc., CLE International, Colorado Municipal League, Special District Association, and the Colorado County Attorneys Association, Lecturer, 1984-2008
- Rules: The Grimshaw and Harring World Series of Poker, Author and Editor, 1983-2008
- Denver and Colorado Bar Associations
- Nebraska Bar Association
- National Western Stock Show Association, Member and Volunteer
- Swallow Hill Music Association, Member; Past Director and Past Vice-President
- Colorado Council on Economic Education, past Board member
- Capitol Hill Action and Recreation Group, past Board member
- American Jurisprudence Award in UCC, Civil Procedure, and Municipal Law
Contact Matt Dalton at 303.839.3706 or firstname.lastname@example.org.