Laurie Patton represents companies and individuals in a wide range of commercial litigation matters and employment disputes, working closely with her clients to identify their objectives and develop a strategy to achieve those goals. Laurie helps clients identify potential risks and liabilities related to their business and workforce and advises clients on how to implement policies and procedures to minimize those risks. If a dispute cannot be avoided or resolved, Laurie advocates for her clients through litigation to secure the best outcome for the client while allowing the client to remain focused on running their business.
As an experienced litigator, Laurie pursues and defends against temporary injunctions, including non-compete disputes, and has been an integral part of legal teams preparing for and presenting complex business matters at jury and bench trials. Laurie has deposed and defended key witnesses, has drafted multiple successful motions for summary judgment, including a motion that was ultimately affirmed by the Eighth Court of Appeals, and has appeared before Texas state courts on numerous occasions.
Laurie helps corporate clients navigate employment issues beginning from the initial investigation through final resolution. She has specific experience responding to EEOC claims and defending against claims of age, race, disability and gender discrimination and wage and hour allegations on a state and federal court level. She also drafts and revises employment related agreements, assists clients in maintaining current and appropriate written policies and procedures and advises clients on maintaining documentation to position themselves most favorably in the event a dispute arises.
Presentations and Publications
- “What Happens if We Get Sued? Best Practices and Realities of Defending a Lawsuit and Reducing Future Risk,” The HRSouthwest Conference, October 2020
- “Who’s the Boss? It Might be You…,” Dallas Bar Headnotes, January 2017
- “Fact and Fiction: Venezuelan Education Reform Law,” 16 L. & Bus. Rev. Am. 873, Fall 2010
- Dallas A&M Club Member
- Richardson Texas Public Library, Board Appointment 2017
- First United Methodist Church of Richardson, Board of Trustees Appointment 2020
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers Member
- Dallas Bar Association Member, Business Litigation, Labor & Employment Law and Trial Skills Sections
- DallasHR Member
- State Bar of Texas Member, Litigation Section
- Texas Aggies Bar Association Member
- Super Lawyers® Rising Stars, 2020
Contact Laurie Patton at 972.324.0342 or firstname.lastname@example.org.