Lauren M. Nelson defends hospital systems, physicians, rehabilitation centers and other health care providers in complex medical malpractice actions. She handles a variety of cases, from catastrophic birth and spinal cord injuries to misdiagnoses and failure to treat. Lauren also represents physicians and nurses before their respective licensing boards.
In addition to her litigation practice, Lauren works closely with clients, advising on risk management, quality assurance, performance improvement, peer review, and compliance and regulatory matters. She also helps providers on employment contracts. Lauren uses her background in information systems to counsel clients on health information privacy and security (HIPAA/HITECH) compliance and health information technology issues.
Lauren is a frequent speaker to health care providers and risk managers on topics such as medical malpractice claims, ethical dilemmas, sexual harassment and boundaries in health care, the business of medicine, challenges in risk management, HIPAA and privacy issues, and professionalism in health care.
Lauren earned a Bachelor of Business Administration in management information systems and minor in corporate communications at Baylor University, a Juris Doctor from South Texas College of Law and a Master of Business Administration from Baylor University.
Highlights of Lauren’s experience include:
- Successfully defending physicians, hospitals and nurses in medical negligence cases.
- Advising health care clients on risk management, patient safety, quality assurance, fraud and abuse, and HIPAA/HITECH issues.
- Providing counseling on employment contracts, business formation and mergers and acquisitions.
Presentations and Publications
- “Health Care Risk Mitigation in the Ever-Changing COVID Landscape,” AHLA, May 2020
- “COVID-19: Risk Mitigation Considerations and Strategies as Healthcare Providers Fully Re-Open,” Webinar, May 2020
- Co-author of Texas Medical Malpractice Defense textbook
- “What Would You Do? Handling Risk Management Conundrums,” GHSHRM
- “Ethics and Boundaries: Staying Inside the Lines,” Cenikor Foundation
- “Medicolegal Issues in Geriatric Neuro-Ophthalmology,” Houston Methodist Research Institute
- “Medical Malpractice: 10 Ways to Get Sued,” Baylor College of Medicine
- “The Business of Medicine,” Hendrick Medical Center
- “Legal Notes: New Challenges for Risk Management in a Rapidly Changing Industry,” NTSHRM
- “HIPAA: Privacy Challenges,” NTSHRM
- “Professionalism Meets Malpractice,” CHRISTUS Spohn Health System Corp.
- RMC Alliance, Co-founder and Treasurer
- Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program
- American Health Law Association
- Greater Houston Society for Healthcare Risk Management, President-Elect, former Director, Chair of the Education Committee and Chair of the Fundraising Committee
- American Society for Health Care Risk Management
- Texas Bar Foundation
- Texas Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Texas Super Lawyers® “Rising Star,” 2012-2019
- Houston’s Top Lawyers, H Magazine, 2015-2019
Contact Lauren Nelson at 713.212.2620 or email@example.com.