Joshua Decker is Of Counsel with the firm and focuses his practice on estate planning, tax planning, and trust and estate administration. He helps families navigate all areas of estate planning with special knowledge in special needs planning and charitable giving.
Joshua recognizes that each client has their own story, and his goal is to be client focused and help to shape each client’s plan to their specific needs. With a high level of care, he counsels people as they consider important personal, legal, and financial decisions when planning for their death or incapacity.
Joshua also advises executors, trustees, and personal representatives as they navigate the often overwhelming process of probate and trust administration. This also includes guiding families through guardianship and conservatorship proceedings for incapacitated individuals.
Joshua understands that sometimes disagreement can occur with the administration of trusts and estates and is able to assist clients in such disputes. Joshua is dedicated to his clients and is committed to providing personal and exceptional service to each client.
Highlights of Joshua’s experience include:
- Has helped clients successfully modify otherwise irrevocable trusts and wills through trust modifications and family settlement agreements.
- Successfully defended a client in an IRS trust fund penalty case.
- Assisted clients in the creation of first party special needs trusts in order to maintain eligibility for benefits and the appropriate use of inherited funds.
Presentations and Publications
- Recent Legislation, Case Law Developments, and Federal Estate Tax Update, 2018 – Presented to the Topeka Probate Committee as part of a semi-annual probate update.
- Charitable Planning, More Than Putting Your Check in the Offering, 2017 – Presented at the annual KBA Slam Dunk Conference
- Estate Planning Basics, 2016
- Child Care Aware of Eastern Kansas, Board Member, 2014-2019
- Polycystic Kidney Disease Foundation, Volunteer
- Kansas Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member, current Co-chair of the Young Lawyers Division – Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Committee
- KBA Young Lawyers Association, Board Member, 2017-2019
- Douglas County Estate Planning Association, Past President, 2017-2018
- Heart of America Fellows Institute of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
Contact Joshua Decker at 913.327.5160 or email@example.com.
Click here to connect with Joshua on LinkedIn.