Jessica Merrigan is a partner in the Kansas City and Overland Park offices of Spencer Fane and currently serves as its Co-Chair of the Environment and Energy Practice Group. She counsels clients on environmental matters regarding regulatory requirements and represents them in litigation of environmental claims, including contribution claims under the federal Superfund law. She has significant experience helping clients in administrative negotiations with both the Environmental Protection Agency and state agencies, advises them on additional or equivalent state law requirements, and assists clients with facility audits, compliance initiatives and waste reduction programs.
Throughout her career, Jessica has worked with clients to monitor the ongoing changes in chemical regulations and implement programs to manage evolving state, local, and federal requirements for chemical management, disclosure, and research.
Jessica advises clients in the complex permitting, operations, and reporting processes of federal and state regulatory programs. This includes obtaining, defending, and modifying Clean Air Act permits to support companies through changing operations and changing legal requirements.
Jessica also helps clients with environmental issues involved in property redevelopment and real estate transactions. Her work includes review of environmental assessments, evaluation of potential environmental liabilities associated with real estate transactions including those created by CERCLA, and evaluation of eligibility for federal and state Brownfields assistance programs. In addition, she works with clients to transfer and maintain permits, through the completion of appropriate plans and applications and coordination with responsible agencies. Her experience has included national, regional and local projects ranging from single-site sales to transactions involving hundreds of millions and up to $2 billion in assets.
Highlights of Jessica’s experience include:
- Negotiated Consent Decree resolving company-wide enforcement by U.S. Department of Justice under Clean Air Act Risk Management Program, including negotiation of Supplemental Environmental Project and limited audit program.
- Guiding multi-state air permitting strategy to support client implementation of technology upgrades, including support of variance and waiver applications.
- Representing a client in resolution of environmental liability to support wrap up of multi-state oil recycling business, including management of RCRA closure and corrective action, permitted remediation, state tank, and voluntary cleanup program processes and negotiation of property sales.
- Represented client in successful allocation to support the performance of $50+ million Superfund cleanup including cash-out settlements and negotiation of performing party agreements.
- Obtained summary judgment defeating third party challenge under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) to client’s Clean Water Act permit.
To view additional experience, click here.
Presentations and Publications
- Speaker, The Long Winding Road(Map) to PFAS Regulation, Air and Waste Management Association, February 2022
- Speaker, PFAS – The (Rapidly) Evolving Technical and Legal Landscape, Missouri Environmental Compliance Conference, October 2021
- Speaker, Regulatory Review and Forecast, Air and Waste Management Association, Midwest Section, Annual Conference, October 2019
- Speaker, The Five Million Dollar Comma Mistake, 2019 Midwest Environmental Compliance Conference, April 2019
- Speaker, The Long Road to Superfund Reform, 2018 ABA Section of Energy & Environment Resources Annual Conference, San Diego, CA, October 2018
- Moderator, Environmental Health & Safety Best Practices, 2018 Midwest Environmental Compliance Conference, Kansas City, MO, April 2018
- Co-author, “Safe(r) Communications in the Age of Transparency,” Power Engineering Magazine, August 2016
- Co-Speaker, EPA Inspections, 2016 Storm Water Seminar, July 2016
- Speaker, Safe(r) Communications in the Age of Transparency, Midwest Environmental Compliance Conference, May 2016
- Speaker, TSCA Reform, Midwest Environmental Compliance Conference, May 2015
- Speaker, Current Issues in Storm Water Regulation, presented by Lorman Education Services, November 2012
- Faculty, CERCLA Private Cost Recovery: How Courts are Directing Traffic Five Years After Atlantic Research, ALI-ABA, April 2012
- Speaker, Environmental Issues in the Foreclosure Process, Missouri Foreclosures and Workouts, presented by NBI, April 2012
- Author, “Green Chemistry and Beyond: The Changing World of Chemical Regulation,” Associate Industries of Missouri, October 2010
- Co-author, “Environmental Insurance,” New Appleman on Insurance Law Library Edition, Chapter 27, October 2010
- Panelist, Landfill Gas Migration, 2009 Missouri Waste Control Coalition Conference, June 2009
- Speaker, Going Beyond Due Diligence, Kansas Environmental Conference, August 2008
- Speaker, RCRA Compliance and Waste Reduction, Missouri Chamber Conference at the Lake of the Ozarks, July 2008
- Speaker, Industrial Storm Water Compliance, Missouri Waste Control Coalition Conference, June 2008
- Speaker, Environmental Risk Management, Associated Industries of Missouri Midwest Region Conference, April 2008
- Co-author, “Understanding Environmental Insurance,” Appleman on Insurance Law and Practice, 2nd ed. Matthew Bender & Company, Inc., 2008
- Speaker, Environmental Issues in Property Development, Mastering Land Use and Planning Processes presented by the National Business Institute, January 2008
- Speaker, Overview of Storm Water Regulations; Storm Water Enforcement; Responding to Enforcement Actions; Recent Trends in Storm Water Enforcement; and Hot Issues, Current Issues in Storm Water Regulation Seminar presented by Lorman Education Services, May 2007 (Missouri), September 2005 (Missouri), September 2005 (Kansas)
- Speaker, Environmental Issues in Commercial Lending, Overview of Commercial Real Estate Requirements presented by Lorman Education Services, 2006
- Speaker, Environmental Issues in Real Estate Transactions, Fundamentals of Real Estate Closings presented by Lorman Education Services, March 2005
- Cristo Rey Kansas City Scholarship Steering Committee, 2020-present
- Kansas City Women’s Public Service Network, 2020-present
- The Surplus Exchange, Board Co-Chair 2018-2020, Board member 2016-2020
- MARC Head Start Advisory Board, 2011-2017
- Advisor to American Law Institute Continuing Legal Education
- KCMBA Environmental Committee, Vice-Chair, 2010-2012
- Member, KCMBA Blue Ribbon Panel on Civility in Legal Practice
- Missouri Waste Control Coalition, Advisory Board 2010-11, Director, 2011-2013
- American Bar Association, Section of Environment, Energy and Resources, Steering Committee, Fall 2020 Conference
- Association of Women Lawyers, Kansas City
- American College of Environmental Lawyers, Fellow
- Chambers USA, Missouri Environmental, 2016 – 2022
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2016-2022
- The Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year, Environmental Law, 2022
- National Law Journal, “Top 50 Energy & Environmental Trailblazers”, 2015
- KC Business Magazine, “Rising Stars”, 2015
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers®, “Rising Stars”, 2008-2017
- Missouri Lawyers Weekly’s, “Up & Coming” award, 2012
- Kansas City Business Journal, “Best of the Bar”, 2010-2012
Contact Jessica Merrigan at 816.292.8821 or email@example.com.