Jessica Nelson helps clients navigate complex civil litigation and dispute resolution matters, including residential mortgage-backed securities litigation, ERISA class actions, antitrust lawsuits, FLSA collective actions, employment claims, and commercial disputes.
Jessica also represents clients in a wide range of employment and employee benefits matters, with an emphasis on defending against discrimination, retaliation, wrongful termination, wage and hour, and ERISA breach of fiduciary duty claims. She defends employers, benefit plans, third-party administrators, fiduciaries and individuals in both single-plaintiff lawsuits and class actions.
In addition to litigation, Jessica provides counsel on employment issues including risk management, employee discipline and terminations, noncompetition agreements, regulatory compliance, wage-and-hour issues, medical leaves, disability accommodations and anti-discrimination laws.
She has appeared before state and federal district and appellate courts, the American Arbitration Association, and various state and federal agencies including the Department of Labor, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development and state and local fair employment practices agencies.
Jessica spent two years as a law clerk in the chambers of the Honorable James M. Rosenbaum, then Chief Judge of the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota. She dedicates a portion of her practice to pro bono work and is active in volunteer work.
Highlights of Jessica’s experience include:
- Represented a client in more than 85 cases against correspondent lenders, relating to the origination and sale of defective residential mortgages. Recovered over $1.2 billion in settlements and secured a $28.7 million verdict following a four-week jury trial.
- Defending pharmacy benefit manager in three consolidated putative ERISA class-action lawsuits.
- Representing pork producer in multiple consolidated lawsuits alleging antitrust violations.
To view additional experience, please click here.
Presentations and Publications
- Presenter, Employment Law Day, Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis, 2014-2018
- “Red Flags for Trustees: Detecting Weak Points In Your Fiduciary Armor,” 2014 Benefits Magazine, June Edition
- FMLA Master Class, Family Military Leave, May 2013
- “Becoming the Integrated Lawyer: Practical Tips on How To Find Joy and Purpose in Your Work,” University of St. Thomas School of Law, 2012
- Paramount Seminar, Employment Law Update, Minneapolis, 2010
- Saint Paul’s Outreach, Secretary of the Board of Directors
- Liturgical Cantor, Church of St. Joseph
- Recognized by Super Lawyers®, 2017-2019
- Recognized as Rising Star by Super Lawyers®, 2014-2015
Contact Jessica Nelson at 612.268.7006 or firstname.lastname@example.org.