Jake Kohut is a full-service litigator on the Spencer Fane Litigation and Dispute Resolution team. Jake focuses his practice on defending health care providers against lawsuits and claims related to catastrophic injuries, professional liability, and medical malpractice. He also works with clients in cases involving allegations of premises liability, products liability, toxic tort, breach of contract, and complex commercial claims. In addition, Jake works closely with hospitals, doctors, nurses, pharmacies, rehabilitation centers, long-term skilled nursing facilities, and other health care providers to manage HIPAA and data privacy matters, subpoenas and document requests, Medicare and Medicaid enrollment and accreditation, fee disputes, and contractual matters. Jake also assists corporations and individuals with commercial issues, fiduciary and trust disputes, contract negotiation and drafting, and risk management practices.
Jake has experience assisting clients with all stages of litigation, including internal investigations, developing and implementing litigation strategy, retaining and consulting expert witnesses, preparing and responding to written discovery, taking and defending depositions, preparing clients and their employees to testify at hearings and trials, and drafting and arguing dispositive motions. Jake has been a member of several successful trial teams, and he has appeared and argued in courtrooms all across Missouri.
Highlights of Jake Kohut’s experience include:
- Coordinated summary judgment strategy with multinational codefendant in toxic tort exposure cases, applying laws from seven separate jurisdictions.
- Successfully appealed revocation of health care provider’s CMS enrollment, resulting in dismissal of original decision and full reinstatement of billing privileges.
- Secured partial summary judgment for trucking client in federal court on claims of negligence and breach of bailment contract.
PRESENTATIONS AND PUBLICATIONS
- “How to Object When You’re Objecting (And Other Deposition Tips),” St. Louis Bar Journal, Winter 2020
- “Defending Depositions,” CLE Presentation to Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis (July 2021)
- The Best Lawyers in America, Ones to Watch, 2022
Contact Jake Kohut at 314.333.3976 or firstname.lastname@example.org.