As an estate planning attorney, Erik Rome creates strategies to protect and manage his clients’ wealth. He assists clients with estate planning document preparation, tax planning, probate and trust administration, estate and trust litigation, and business law.
Erik helps develop and implement comprehensive estate plans for clients with a broad range of estate sizes, assets (including closely held business), and objectives. Understanding that every client’s goals are unique, Erik works closely with each client to develop a custom plan to accomplish their goals, such as minimizing taxes, making charitable gifts, and planning for the eventual transfer of wealth to subsequent generations.
Erik guides clients through the process of administering estates and trusts in what can often be a difficult and emotional time for those involved. In addition, Erik has obtained court-ordered trust modifications and terminations and works in conjunction with our litigation team on trust and estate litigation matters.
- Prepared estate planning documents to provide for client’s care during periods of incapacity and for the eventual transfer of wealth.
- Provided support and advice to executors, trustees, and beneficiaries in probate and trust administration and disputes, including the preparation of court pleadings and federal gift and estate tax returns.
- Advised owners of privately held entities on formation, organizational, tax, and corporate succession issues.
- Prepared federal estate and gift tax returns, as well as IRS private letter ruling requests.
- Co-presenter, “Planned Giving: Maximizing the Benefits of Your Clients’ Charitable Gifts” at the Kansas Bar Association’s 14th Annual Slam-Dunk CLE in February of 2014.
- Co-presenter, “Estate Planning for Farmers and Ranchers” at seminar sponsored by NBI in November of 2014.
- Recognizing Those Left Unprotected by ERISA’s Section 510 Loophole: Congress Must Act to Protect These Employees, 21 Kan. J.L. & Pub. Pol’y 194 (2011).
- Johnson County Bar Association (Secretary of Probate Section)
- Kansas City Estate Planning Society
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association (Military Matters Pro Bono Volunteer)
- Kansas Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Overland Park Rotary Club
- Member of Board of Directors of Kansas State Alpha Tau Omega Students’ Aid Endowment Fund
- Executive Committee Member of the Douglas County Estate Planning Council (past)
Contact Erik Rome at 913.327.5160 or firstname.lastname@example.org.