Eric Johnson is a partner at Spencer Fane and is the co-practice group leader for the Banking and Financial Services Group and practice group leader for the Bankruptcy, Restructuring and Creditors’ Rights Group.
Eric represents clients in bankruptcy, non-bankruptcy insolvency proceedings, such as receiverships and foreclosure proceedings, out of court workouts and restructurings, and other related insolvency matters. As an experienced litigator, Eric also represents clients in complex insolvency related litigation, including bankruptcy avoidance actions and other adversary proceedings and contested matters. Eric also is a member of the panel of Chapter 7 trustees for the Western District of Missouri and is currently serving as a federal equity receiver.
With a strong commitment to the bar and legal education, Eric is currently serving as the chair of the Missouri Bar’s Business/Corporate Division and as a board member of the Kansas Bar Association Bankruptcy and Insolvency Section. In the past, Eric has served as the co-chair for the Missouri Bar’s Bankruptcy Creditor-Debtor Rights Committee, president and board member for the Kansas City Bankruptcy Bar Association, and the president of the Kansas Bar Association Bankruptcy and Insolvency Section, and as a member of the Bench Bar Committees for the U.S. Bankruptcy Courts for the District of Kansas and the Western District of Missouri. Eric has also served on various subcommittees for the Missouri Bar including the subcommittee related to the Missouri Commercial Receivership Act.
Eric is also very active in the American Bankruptcy Institute, the nation’s largest association of bankruptcy professionals. Eric currently serves on the ABI Board of Directors and on the advisory board for the Midwestern Bankruptcy Institute, an annual program jointly sponsored by the ABI and the University of Missouri – Kansas City. In the past, Eric served as the co-chair for the Midwestern Bankruptcy Institute, the co-chair, education director and communications director for the Secured Creditors Committee, and as the membership director for ABI’s Bankruptcy Litigation Committee. Eric served on the 2019 Steering Committee for ABI’s 40 under 40 program.
Eric was recently selected into The American College of Bankruptcy, Class XXXII (2021). His selection for the College recognizes his professional excellence and contributions to the fields of bankruptcy and insolvency.
Eric is a frequent author and speaker on insolvency related topics. Recently, Eric has been a panelist/presenter or authored articles on the following topics:
- Construction Lending and Bankruptcy: What Lenders Need to Know to Protect Their Interests Before and After a Borrower Files Bankruptcy, Spencer Fane Webinar Series (May 2021)
- Evaluating Bankruptcy, Receivership, and Assignment For the Benefit of Creditor Alternatives to Protect Lender, Buyer and Borrower Interests, Strafford CLE (May 2021)
- Island of Misfit Toys: Infrequently Used and Misunderstood Provisions of the Bankruptcy Code and Rules, KBA Spring 2021 Virtual Bankruptcy Conference (April 2021)
- Liquidity Crisis! Dealing with the Cash-Starved Chapter 11 Debtor Prior to and Through Chapter 11, ABI Annual Spring Meeting (April 2021)
- Chapter 7 Panel Trustee Perspective, Kansas City Bankruptcy Bar Association Kansas Judges’ Roundtable Webinar (Jan. 2021)
- Small Business Bankruptcies: What Bankers Need to Know About Small Business Bankruptcy, Spencer Fane Webinar Series (Nov. 2020)
- What’s My Alternative?: Counseling Your Client and the Court with Respect to Bankruptcy Alternatives, 40th Annual Midwestern Bankruptcy Institute, ABI/UMKC CLE (Oct. 2020)
- Executory Contracts and Unexpired Leases, KBA 2020 Bankruptcy & Insolvency Law CLE (Oct. 2020)
- Bankruptcy’s New Subchapter V: The Small Business Reorganization Act, Community Bankers Webinar Network (Aug. 2020)
Click here to view Eric’s additional presentations and publications.
- American College of Bankruptcy, Fellow
- Michael R. Roser Excellence in Bankruptcy Award (2020). Presented by the Missouri Bar to an individual who manifests the highest standard of excellence in bankruptcy practice, who has contributed distinctively to the development and appreciation of bankruptcy law, and/or who has made an outstanding contribution in the field of bankruptcy administration or practice.
- The Best Lawyers in America® – 2010-2021
- The Best Lawyers in America® Lawyer of the Year (2017), Litigation – Bankruptcy
- Named to the inaugural edition of The 2020 Lawdragon 500 Leading U.S. Bankruptcy and Restructuring Lawyers®
- Selected for inclusion in Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers® Rising Star, 2009, 2011-2013, Super Lawyer, 2014-2020. In connection with his 2020 selection, Eric was selected as one of the top 100 lawyers overall.
- Kansas City Business Journal Best of the Bar – 2010-2016
- Board-certified in business bankruptcy by the American Board of Certification. The American Board of Certification’s Business Bankruptcy certification program is accredited by the American Bar Association. (Please note that neither the Supreme Court of Missouri nor the Missouri Bar reviews or approves certifying organizations or special designations. Colorado does not certify attorneys or specialists in any field.)
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Kansas City Bankruptcy Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Kansas Bar Association
- Missouri Bar Association
- National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees
- University of Northern Iowa Kansas City Alumni Club – Club Leader
- University of Iowa Alumni Association
Contact Eric Johnson at 816.292.8267 or firstname.lastname@example.org.