Eric Johnson is a partner at Spencer Fane and is the co-practice group leader for the Banking and Financial Services Group and practice group leader for the Bankruptcy, Restructuring and Creditors’ Rights Group.
Eric represents clients in bankruptcy, non-bankruptcy insolvency proceedings, such as receiverships and foreclosure proceedings, out of court workouts and restructurings, and other related insolvency matters. As an experienced litigator, Eric also represents clients in complex insolvency related litigation, including bankruptcy avoidance actions and other adversary proceedings and contested matters. Eric also is a member of the panel of Chapter 7 trustees for the Western District of Missouri and is currently serving as a federal equity receiver.
With a strong commitment to the bar and legal education, Eric is currently serving as the chair of the Missouri Bar’s Business/Corporate Division and the president of the Kansas Bar Association Bankruptcy and Insolvency Section. In the past, Eric has served as the co-chair for the Missouri Bar’s Bankruptcy Creditor-Debtor Rights Committee, president and board member for the Kansas City Bankruptcy Bar Association, and as a member of the Bench Bar Committees for the U.S. Bankruptcy Courts for the District of Kansas and the Western District of Missouri. Eric has also served on various subcommittees for the Missouri Bar including the subcommittee related to the Missouri Commercial Receivership Act.
Eric is also very active in the American Bankruptcy Institute, the nation’s largest association of bankruptcy professionals. Eric currently serves on the ABI Board of Directors and on the advisory board for the Midwestern Bankruptcy Institute, an annual program jointly sponsored by the ABI and the University of Missouri – Kansas City. In the past, Eric served as the co-chair for the Midwestern Bankruptcy Institute, the co-chair, education director and communications director for the Secured Creditors Committee, and as the membership director for ABI’s Bankruptcy Litigation Committee. Eric served on the 2019 Steering Committee for ABI’s 40 under 40 program.
Eric is a frequent author and speaker on insolvency related topics. Recently, Eric has been a panelist/presenter or authored articles on the following topics:
- Beware Priming Liens: Four Common Types of Priming Liens and Interests, American Bankruptcy Institute, Secured Creditors Committee Newsletter (2019) with Andrea Chase (Spencer Fane LLP)
- LAW Talk: Bankruptcy and Structured Financing, MoBar Annual Meeting (Sept. 2019)
- Preparing for the Next Downturn, The Missouri Banker (June 2019) with Zach Fairlie (Spencer Fane LLP)
- Opinion Letters for Bankruptcy Lawyers: What You Need to Know Before Issuing a Third-Party Opinion Letter, ABI Annual Spring Meeting (April 2019)
- Unfriended: The Ethical Obligations Implicated by Social Media and Technology, KBA 2019 Bankruptcy & Insolvency Law CLE (April 2019)
- Creditors’ Remedies, 2019 MoBar Webinar (Feb. 2019)
- The Intersection of Receivership & Bankruptcy, Kansas City Bankruptcy Bar Association Commercial Practice Seminar (Nov. 2018)
- Show Me the Money: Procedural and Practical Considerations Regarding the Use of Cash Collateral and DIP Financing, 38th Annual Midwestern Bankruptcy Institute, ABI/UMKC CLE (October 2018)
Click here to view Eric’s additional presentations and publications.
- The Best Lawyers in America® – 2010-2021
- The Best Lawyers in America® Lawyer of the Year (2017), Litigation – Bankruptcy
- Kansas City Business Journal Best of the Bar – 2010-2016
- Selected for inclusion in Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers® Rising Star, 2009, 2011-2013, Super Lawyer, 2014-2019. In connection with his 2019 selection, Eric was selected as one of the top 50 lawyers in Kansas City and one of the top 100 lawyers overall.
- Board-certified in business bankruptcy by the American Board of Certification. The American Board of Certification’s Business Bankruptcy certification program is accredited by the American Bar Association. (Please note that neither the Supreme Court of Missouri nor the Missouri Bar reviews or approves certifying organizations or special designations. Colorado does not certify attorneys or specialists in any field.)
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Kansas City Bankruptcy Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Kansas Bar Association
- Missouri Bar Association
- National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees
- University of Northern Iowa Kansas City Alumni Club – Club Leader
- University of Iowa Alumni Association
Contact Eric Johnson at 816.292.8267 or firstname.lastname@example.org.