Eric Johnson is a partner at Spencer Fane and is the co-practice group leader for the Banking and Financial Services Group and practice group leader for the Bankruptcy, Restructuring and Creditors’ Rights Group. Eric represents clients in bankruptcy, non-bankruptcy insolvency proceedings, such as receiverships and foreclosure proceedings, out of court workouts and restructurings, and other related insolvency matters. As an experienced litigator, Eric also represents clients in complex insolvency related litigation, including bankruptcy avoidance actions and other adversary proceedings and contested matters.
With a strong commitment to the bar and legal education, Eric is currently serving as the chair of the Missouri Bar’s Business/Corporate Division and the president elect and executive committee member for the Kansas Bar Association Bankruptcy and Insolvency Section. In the past, Eric has served as the co-chair for the Missouri Bar’s Bankruptcy Creditor-Debtor Rights Committee, president and board member for the Kansas City Bankruptcy Bar Association, and as a member of the Bench Bar Committees for the U.S. Bankruptcy Courts for the District of Kansas and the Western District of Missouri. Eric has also served on various subcommittees for the Missouri Bar including the subcommittee related to the recently enacted Missouri Commercial Receivership Act.
Eric is also very active in the American Bankruptcy Institute, the nation’s largest association of bankruptcy professionals. In addition to being the Education Director for the Secured Creditors Committee, Eric currently serves on the advisory board for the Midwestern Bankruptcy Institute, an annual program jointly sponsored by the ABI and the University of Missouri – Kansas City. In the past, Eric has served as co-chair for the Midwestern Bankruptcy Institute and as the membership director for ABI’s Bankruptcy Litigation Committee and communications director for the Secured Creditors Committee.
Eric is a frequent author and speaker on insolvency related topics. Recently, Eric has been a panelist/presenter or authored articles on the following topics:
- Remote Control: Is a Bankruptcy Remote Company Truly Possible?, ABI Talks, 25th Annual Central States Bankruptcy Workshop (June 2018)
- Unfriended: The Ethical Obligations Implicated by Social Media and Technology, Quarterly Corporate Counsel CLE (May 2018)
- Catching the Tiger By the Tail: Secured Lending Strategies When Dealing with an Insolvent Borrower, KBA 2018 Bankruptcy & Insolvency Law CLE (April 2018) Tech and Social Media Ethics, MoBar 2018 Annual Bankruptcy Institute (March 2018)
- Creditors’ Remedies, 2018 MoBar Webinar (Feb. 2018)
- Chapter 11 Conversion Conundrum: Should Post-Petition, Pre-Conversion Property Remain
- Property of the Chapter 7 Estate in a Converted Individual Chapter 11 Case? XXXVI ABI Journal 8, 20, 76-78, August (2017) with Andrea M. Chase (Spencer Fane) and Mark G. Stingley and Sara Holdmeyer (Bryan Cave LLP)
- My Borrower Filed Chapter 11 Bankruptcy – Now What?, Webinar (June 2017)
- Missouri’s New Receivership Statute and Other Non-Bankruptcy Alternatives, MoBar 2017 Annual Bankruptcy Institute (March 2017)
- Understanding and Utilizing Forbearance Agreements in Workouts, Webinar (March 2017)
- Creditors’ Remedies, 2017 MoBar Next Step Series Webinar (Feb. 2017)
- Intervention Energy Holdings: Determining a Company’s Right to Seek Bankruptcy Relief, Missouri Bar Bankruptcy – Creditors and Debtors Rights Committee, Fall Committee Meetings (Nov. 2016)
- Intervention Energy Holdings: Good Public Policy, or Unnecessary Intrusion into State Law? XXXV ABI Journal 11, 20, 76-78, November 2016 (2016) with Mark G. Stingley (Bryan Cave LLP)
- Representing the Corporate Client, 36th Annual Midwestern Bankruptcy Institute, ABI/UMKC CLE (Sept. 2016)
- The Missouri Commercial Receivership Act, Banking Law Study Group (July 2016)
Click here to view Eric’s additional presentations and publications.
- Agricultural Business Council of Kansas City
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Kansas City Bankruptcy Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Kansas Bar Association
- Missouri Bar Association
- University of Northern Iowa Kansas City Alumni Club – Club Leader
- University of Iowa Alumni Association
- The Best Lawyers in America® – 2010-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America® Lawyer of the Year (2017), Litigation – Bankruptcy
- Kansas City Business Journal Best of the Bar – 2010-2016
- Selected for inclusion in Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers® Rising Star, 2009, 2011-2013, Super Lawyer, 2014-2018. In connection with his 2016 selection, Eric was selected as one of the top 10 lawyers in Missouri and Kansas. In connection with his 2016 and 2017 selection, Eric was selected as one of the top 50 lawyers in Kansas City.
- Board-certified in business bankruptcy by the American Board of Certification. The American Board of Certification’s Business Bankruptcy certification program is accredited by the American Bar Association. (Please note that neither the Supreme Court of Missouri nor the Missouri Bar reviews or approves certifying organizations or special designations. Colorado does not certify attorneys or specialists in any field.)
Contact Eric Johnson at 816.292.8267 or email@example.com.