Eric Peterson advises and assists financial institutions, investors, lenders, and others in maximizing value and recoveries through structural reforms in operating businesses, as well as through judicial and quasi-judicial proceedings. In his practice, Eric commonly helps lead companies through complex structuring and restructuring of their corporate, financial and operational affairs. He has deep experience in utilizing judicial processes when necessary, and is regularly recognized as being among the best litigation attorneys in America. He is also trained as a mediator.
Eric’s clients range from start-ups to Fortune 100 firms. He frequently represents financial institutions in relation to commercial loan defaults and related judicial proceedings, and in defending against lender liability claims. Eric has led numerous companies through the chapter 11 process, and he commonly represents creditor committees and others in connection with large chapter 11 cases. He acts as court-appointed receiver and regularly represents investors, financial institutions and receivers in state and Federal receivership proceedings.
Eric is a frequent speaker and writer on business restructuring, financial litigation, commercial receivership, bankruptcy and insolvency law. He authored the Missouri Commercial Receivership Act Manual and Practitioner’s Guidebook published by the Missouri Bar, and is an author of or contributor to books and articles published by the American Bar Association, American Bankruptcy Institute and others. He presents several panel discussions annually, including in 2018 as a speaker featured at the annual Missouri Judicial College. As chair of the Missouri Bar Subcommittee on Commercial Receivership, Eric has been credited with leading the drafting and creation of the Missouri Commercial Receivership Act (MCRA), which governs commercial receivership proceedings in Missouri. The MCRA has also been used as a model by practitioners in other states seeking to refine and reform receivership statutes outside of Missouri.
Eric received his MBA from Washington University in St. Louis and his JD from Boston University. He is admitted to practice in Missouri, California, Washington DC, and Maryland, and is the recipient of numerous honors, awards, and recognitions in relation to corporate restructuring, insolvency law, and commercial litigation.
- The Five Essential parts of a Franchisee Bankruptcy, The Franchise Lawyer, American Bar Association Forum on Franchising, Fall, 2015
- Getting Personal, Los Angeles Lawyer, December 2007
- Caveat Emptor: Let the Buyer Beware a Sale May Not Really be a Sale, Bankruptcy Bulletin, November 2007
- Manufacturers Have More Freedom to Regulate Distributor Pricing, Electronic Retailer, November 2007
- Commentary: D&O Coverage for Bankruptcy Litigation – Does the Insured vs. Insured Exception Leave Executives Exposed, Andrews Litigation Reporter, July, 2007
- The New Missouri Commercial Receivership Act, MoBar 2017 Annual Bankruptcy Institute, February, 2017
- 2016 The New Missouri Commercial Receivership Act, Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, Webinar, December, 2016
- Missouri Independent Bankers Association, 39th Annual convention & Expo, Legal Eagle Panel, September 14, 2016
- Missouri Bar Annual Meeting and Judicial Conference, The New Missouri Commercial Receivership Act, September 23, 2016
- 2016, The New Missouri Commercial Receivership Act (Webinar), December 8, 2016
- Bankruptcy Court Litigation, Missouri Bar, December 2012
- Director and Officer Litigation in Bankruptcy, Beverly Hills Bar Association, May, 2008
- Bankruptcy Litigation 101 – Fraudulent Transfers, Preferences, and Claims Litigation, National Bankruptcy Institute
- Board of Jewish Family & Children’s Services (nonprofit)
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- American Bankruptcy Institute Mediation Committee
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- St. Louis Regional Commerce Growth Association
- Show-Me Institute
- Turnaround Management Association
- Vice chair, Missouri Bar Commercial Law Committee, 2014-2015
- Chair, Missouri Bar Subcommittee on Commercial Receivership, 2013 – present
- Past Chair, Missouri Bar Bankruptcy and Creditor Rights Committee, 2016 – 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2015-2020
- 2013 Top Small Business Lawyer, St. Louis Small Business Monthly, February, 2013
- Super Lawyers®, Rising Star, 2005-2009
Contact Eric Peterson at 314.333.3937 or email@example.com.