Eric Block is a litigator focusing on brand management and enforcement, commercial litigation, and labor and employment issues.
Eric helps clients maintain and protect their brands by securing exclusive rights and enforcing those rights, so they can focus on what they do best – providing goods and services to their customers and building their brand. Eric represents clients in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, and federal court prosecuting and litigating intellectual property issues ranging from trademark cancellations to allegations of infringement.
Eric also assists businesses and individuals in pursuing and defending claims throughout Missouri and Illinois. He has tried cases involving issues of constitutional law, including successfully defending a small municipality against First Amendment claims. He has also litigated a wide variety of issues, including defamation and privacy claims, construction disputes, and contract claims, among others.
In addition, Eric counsels employers and helps navigate problems in the workplace. He represents businesses in all manner of human resources and personnel issues, from mass layoffs and plant closures to wage and hour disputes. He regularly represents employers before the Equal Opportunity Commission and Missouri Commission on Human Rights on charges of discrimination under Title VII and the Missouri Human Rights Act. Eric also litigates a wide array of employment-related issues, ranging from non-compete enforcement to claims for misappropriation of trade secrets.
Highlights of Eric Block’s experience include:
- Golan et al. v. Courage, 2012 LLC, et al: Successfully defended owner of a movie in a class action seeking to impose vicarious liability for 3.2 million robo calls in violation of the TCPA. Plaintiff sought damages in excess of $1.6 billion. Resulted in dismissal of case following the close of all evidence after a seven day jury trial.
- Represented large, Midwestern retailer against claims of alleged trademark infringement brought in California, successfully transferred case to the Midwest, and obtained favorable settlement
- Served as second chair in bench trial of First Amendment challenge to municipal ordinance in United States District Court for Eastern District of Missouri, resulting in decision upholding client’s ordinance
- Represented professional athlete in claims against sports commentator for defamatory claims and obtained favorable settlement
Presentations and Publications
- Co-Author, “Using Accounting and Financial Records as Evidence,” National Business Institute CLE, June 19, 2014
- Comment, “The Seedy Underbelly of Joinder and Reverse Class Actions: The Porn Industry’s Crusade Against Digital Piracy and Its Interplay with Rule 11 Sanctions,” 37 Southern Illinois University Law Journal 419 (2013)
- Note, “Broke: The Pocketbook of Illinois and the Single Subject Rule After Wirtz v. Quinn, 953 N.E.2d 899 (Ill. 2011),” 37 Southern Illinois University Law Journal 237 (2012)
- Attorney Volunteer, Volunteer Lawyers Program, Legal Services of Eastern Missouri (2013 – 2016)
- Member, Wyman Young Leaders Board (2014 – 2015)
- American Bar Association
- Missouri Bar Association
- Illinois Bar Association
- Selected for inclusion in Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers®, Rising Star, 2017
Contact Eric Block at 314.333.3950 or email@example.com.
Click here to connect with Eric on LinkedIn.