DeAndrea Washington focuses her practice on a variety of labor employment litigation matters. She provides preventive counsel and litigates employment disputes on behalf of public and private employers in federal and state courts, arbitration, and before administrative agencies, such as the Texas Workforce Commission, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and the United States Department of Labor. DeAndrea handles litigation matters at the pre-trial, trial, and appellate levels. She represents management in employment discrimination, sexual harassment, retaliation, noncompetition, and wage and hour disputes. Her litigation practice also includes breach of contract litigation.
With a client-driven approach to practicing law, DeAndrea has successfully advised and resolved matters on behalf of employers of all sizes across a wide range of industries. She prides herself on helping clients identify and defuse potential lawsuits before they are filed. She also has experience representing public and private schools, charter schools, public and private universities, and governmental entities. With extensive trial and oral advocacy experience, DeAndrea has tried jury trials to verdict, arbitrated claims resulting in favorable awards, and has successfully defended judgments for clients on appeal in state and federal court.
While attending law school, DeAndrea served as a judicial intern for the Honorable Nancy F. Atlas — a United States District Judge for the Southern District of Texas. She also interned for the First Court of Appeals of Texas.
Highlights of DeAndrea’s experience include:
- Second-chaired jury trial resulting in favorable verdict on behalf of prestigious university including award of attorneys’ fees and punitive damages in breach of contract action.
- Second-chaired arbitration resulting in award in favor of water treatment and process improvement company accused of retaliation and wrongful discharge.
- Second-chaired jury trial resulting in favorable verdict on behalf of local school district in Texas Whistleblower Act retaliation action.
Presentations and Publications
- “Social Media – Minimizing Legal Risks” Client CLE, Houston, Texas
- “When are My Communications Truly Secret?: Protecting Attorney-Client and Work-Product Privileges for In-House Counsel,” Client CLE, Houston, Texas
- “What Employers Need to Know Right Now to Maintain Compliance,” Client CLE, Houston, Texas
- “Understanding Cultural Diversity in the Workplace,” Training Seminar, Houston, Texas
- “Nuts and Bolts of Employment Law 101,” United Way Nonprofit Employment Law Academy, Houston, Texas
- “Record Retention and Destruction,” Client Seminar, Houston, Texas
- “How to Develop a Legally Defensible Employee Drug-Testing Policy,” Texas Association of School Administrators/Texas Association of School Boards Convention, Houston, Texas
Spencer Fane Leadership
- Diversity & Inclusion Committee
- State Bar of Texas
- American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section
- Add National Employment Law Council (NELC)
- Houston Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section
- Houston Association of Women Attorneys (AWA)
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
- The Downtown Group
Contact DeAndrea Washington at 713.212.2616 or firstname.lastname@example.org.