Cheryl Burtzel is an experienced transactions attorney assisting clients on commercial and compliance matters involving privacy, cybersecurity, sales and distribution, government contracts, and procurement legal matters. She has experience working with clients in commercial, financial institution, utility, health care and technology industries. Experience working as in-house counsel and legal director for a Global Fortune 50 company provides her with strong knowledge in leading global teams during complex transactions, policy development and implementation, and crisis management.
Cheryl has also managed research for university institutions in addition to handling government contracts, health care industry compliance and technology matters.
Presentations and Publications
- Author, Chapter on Negotiating the Exit – Ensuring Successful Transition, in Cloud 3.0: Drafting and Negotiating Effective Cloud Computing Agreements (Book to be published by the ABA Business Law Section 2019)
- Privacy and Security: U.S. Practitioner Perspectives, Symposium on International Perspectives in Cyberspace Law: Privacy, Security & Governance, Creighton University School of Law, September 18, 2018
- Autonomous Car Crashes – Who or What Dunnit? Will IP and Cybersecurity Lawyers Replace PI Lawyers in Sortin’ Out the Legal Issues?, 2018 ABA Business Law Section Annual Meeting, September 13-15, 2018
- The Development of a Health Innovation Ecosystem, INVENTURE$ 2018, Calgary, Canada, June 5-8, 2018
- Data Privacy Basics for Business Lawyers: Spotting the Critical Issues, Business Law Basics Webinar, ABA Business Law Section, May 31, 2018
- Navigating Demands for Ransom and Other Ethical Challenges in Cyber Investigations, ABA Business Law Section Cyberspace Winter Working Meeting, January 25-27, 2018
- Cybersecurity/Information Security – Lessons for State and Procurement Attorneys and Professionals, ABA Section on Public Contract Law et al., Spring Conference, April 27-28, 2017
- Current Issues in Public Private Partnerships (P3) for State and Local Procurement, ABA Section on Public Contract Law et al., Spring Conference, April 27-28, 2017
- Co-Author, Cheryl M. Burtzel et al., ABA Cybersecurity Legal Task Force Vendor Contracting Project: Cybersecurity Checklist, Business Law Today, November 2016 (updated as of April 13, 2017 and published online by the American Bar Association)
- Author, Texas Law Summary, 2nd Edition, ABA Guide to State Procurement: A 50-State Primer on Purchasing Laws, Processes, and Procedures, ©2016 American Bar Association
- Cyberspace Law Committee, Business Law Section, American Bar Association, Vice Chair
- State & Local Procurement Committee, ABA Public Contract Section, Co-Chair
- State Bar of Texas
- American Bar Association
- Fellow of the American Bar Association
Contact Cheryl Burtzel at 512.840.4553 or firstname.lastname@example.org.