Charles Robert Bone helps clients efficiently and effectively close deals and establish successful operational procedures and governance, allowing business owners and executives to successfully implement the vision for their company. He concentrates his law practice in the areas of economic and real estate development, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, and advising emerging businesses, entrepreneurs, officers and directors, and governmental entities, including serving as general counsel for the Convention Center Authority of the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County. He has also represented clients in various complex litigation matters in both state and federal courts across Tennessee.
Charles Robert is known for providing his clients with good judgment, strategic counsel, and practical advice. According to the Nashville Business Journal, Charles Robert “hails from one of Nashville’s most prominent legal and political families” and represents “some of the splashiest names in town” and connects “many of the city’s power players.”
Charles Robert says the best part about being a lawyer is helping people solve what seem like insurmountable problems or helping business owners implement their vision. He serves as Office Managing Partner for Spencer Fane in Nashville. Charles Robert has been instrumental in developing several Tennessee-based companies as an entrepreneur, investor, and board member, including as a founder of Phoenix Boats (Winchester, Tennessee), the Southern Steak & Oyster restaurant, and Acme Feed & Seed. He also serves as a partner in and on the investment committee for the Tennessee Angel Fund, a statewide co-investment fund, and on the local board of directors for ServisFirst Bank.
Representative economic and real estate development matters include representing investors and developers, including those who handled one of the largest redevelopment projects in the history of downtown Nashville. In addition, Charles Robert represented a municipality in the development of a $100 million events center, which has multiple tenants.
Representative transactions include multiple private placements/exempt offerings (debt and equity) and multiple sales of closely held companies to public companies, including representing a collection of companies and brands in a sale. In addition, Charles Robert has been instrumental in assisting with acquisition, capitalization, and/or private placement of more than 15 restaurants and holding companies.
Charles Robert has also been active in high-profile political campaigns since 1990 and has participated in various campaign efforts, including serving as the Finance Chair for Mayor Karl Dean’s 2018 campaign for Governor of Tennessee and United States Congressman Harold Ford, Jr.’s 2006 campaign for the United States Senate. Charles Robert also served on President Barack Obama’s 2008 and 2012 National Finance Committees, including raising more than $500,000 for the President’s re-election campaign. Charles Robert was a candidate for Mayor of Nashville in 2015 and then served as the Chair of Mayor Megan Barry’s Transition Committee.
Charles Robert is an avid runner and an entrepreneur at heart, and he has a passion for politics and public service. Despite being a lawyer, he finds himself regularly manipulated and overrun by his four children ranging in age from 11 to 18.
- Young Presidents’ Organization (YPO), Member
- Nashville’s Agenda, Member
- Metropolitan Development and Housing Agency Urban Development (MDHA), Former Chair and Commissioner
- Convention & Visitors Bureau (CVB), Ex-Officio Board Member
- Cheekwood, Board Member, Executive Committee and Secretary
- Oasis Center, Board Member
- Hands on Nashville, Board Member, Executive Committee and Chair of Governance Committee
- Equal Chance for Education, President
- Safe Haven Family Shelter, Advisory Board
- Tennessee State University, Transition Advisory Committee Member
- Tennessee Governor’s Prayer Breakfast, Citizen’s Committee Member
- Nashville Mayor Megan Barry, Transition Committee, Chair
- Leadership Tennessee, Class Member, 2015
- Oak Hill School Annual Fund, Chair, 2013-2014
- Nashville Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Power 100, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, Nashville Business Journal
- Most Admired CEO, 2016, Nashville Business Journal
- Nashville Bar Foundation Fellow, 2016
- Nashville Administrative/Regulatory Law “Lawyer of the Year,” Best Lawyers in America©, 2015
- The Best Lawyers in America©
- Best of the Bar, 2014, 2016 Nashville Business Journal
- Top 10 Influencers for Tennessee, Campaigns & Elections, 2012
- In Charge List, Nashville Post, 2010-2011
- Super Lawyers, Mid-South, 2014-2021
- Super Lawyers, Mid-South Rising Star, 2009-2013
Contact Charles Robert Bone at 615.238.6394 or firstname.lastname@example.org.