Carly Duvall is a bet-the-company litigator who defends large corporate businesses in high-stakes disputes. She is particularly adept at advising clients facing serious legal jeopardy such as allegations of fraud, embezzlement, and conversion. Carly recognizes the high-stress nature of such matters and partners closely with each client to help them avoid criminal penalties and civil damages so they can stay in operation.
In one recent matter, Carly defended an employee benefit plan administrator against 200 lawsuits accusing the client of fraud and breach of fiduciary duty. Carly worked quickly to negotiate a global, class-action settlement over several mediation sessions then defended that settlement against hundreds of objectors. The settlement allowed the client to continue operating, while simultaneously securing a pension plan for thousands of participants.
Carly holistically manages multi-faceted disputes by first conducting an internal investigation then creating a strategy and plan to address all aspects of the problem–from criminal and regulatory penalties to potential civil claims and damages. Throughout her cases, Carly manages crisis communications and consistently works toward creative resolution. Carly is mindful that her cases require more than just a legal strategy and response; she works side-by-side with her clients to help them find clarity and calm so their companies can thrive again.
Presentations and Publications
- Presenter, “Best Practices for Crisis Communications,” Association of Corporate Counsel, Kansas City, Missouri, April 10, 2019
- Presenter, “Best Practices for Crisis Communications,” RIMS, Kansas City, Missouri, April 9, 2019
- Author, “Effectively Resisting and Limiting Discovery,” For the Defense, April 2012
- Co-author, “Environmental Insurance,” New Appleman on Insurance Law Library Edition, Chapter 27, October 2010
- Nebraska Women’s Leadership Network
- Kansas City Sports Commission Young Professionals Board, 2013-Present; Vice Chair, 2018-Present
- Women’s Intersport Network Triathlon Planning Committee, 2015-2018
- Association of Women Lawyers
- Impact KC, Events Committee Co-Chair, 2014-2015
- Ross T. Roberts Inn of Courts, 2013-2014
- Selected for inclusion in Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers®, Rising Star, 2014-2016
Contact Carly Duvall at 816.292.8330 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here to connect with Carly on LinkedIn.