Carly Duvall is a bet-the-company litigator who defends large corporate businesses in high-stakes disputes. She is particularly adept at advising clients facing serious legal jeopardy such as allegations of fraud, embezzlement, and conversion. Carly recognizes the high-stress nature of such matters and partners closely with each client to help them avoid criminal penalties and civil damages so they can stay in operation.
She holistically manages multi-faceted disputes by first conducting an internal investigation then creating a strategy and plan to address all aspects of the problem–from criminal and regulatory penalties to potential civil claims and damages. Throughout her cases, Carly manages crisis communications and consistently works toward creative resolution. Carly is mindful that her cases require more than just a legal strategy and response; she works side-by-side with her clients to help them find clarity and calm so their companies can thrive again.
Carly also acts as outside general counsel to a wide range of startup and emerging growth companies. She is passionate about helping entrepreneurs grow into the next stage of their business. In this role she advises her clients on risk management and long-term strategic legal planning in a cost-effective way. Carly also advises technology companies on how to operate their business in a regulatory and legal climate built for brick and mortar businesses. Carly is co-chair of the Spencer Fane Startup Lab where accepted startup companies receive 3 months of free legal consultation, access to Spencer Fane resources, and mentoring.
Presentations and Publications
- Co-Author, “State Price-Gouging Regulation and Compliance During Covid-19,” Bloomberg Law, August 2020
- Guest, Wonder Woman in Business Podcast, June 22, 2020
- Presenter, “Price Gouging and COVID: Consumer Protection and Criminal Enforcement Concerns,” June 2020
- Quoted, “Navigating a new normal for corporate practice,” Finance & Commerce, May 2020
- Co-Author, “Companies Need To Be Careful With the CARES Act or Face Regulatory and Investigative Actions Down the Road,” Corporate Counsel, April 21, 2020
- Radio Interview, “Carly Duvall of Spencer Fane on price gouging,” KMBZ, April 9, 2020
- Presenter, “Government Investigation Webinar: COVID-19 – Potential (and/or) current enforcement and investigation actions,” April 2020
- Quoted, “Helix Health finds ‘enlightening’ support in Spencer Fane’s new STARTUP Lab, co-founder says,” Startland News, December 4, 2019
- Quoted, “Spencer Fane accepts ﬁrst company to its startup lab,” Kansas City Business Journal, October 9, 2019
- Quoted, “Why Spencer Fane is Launching a Startup Lab,” Kansas City Business Journal, September 6, 2019
- Panelist, “Internal Investigations in Higher Education – Best Practices and Procedures,” Kansas City, Missouri, July 24, 2019
- Presenter, “Best Practices for Crisis Communications,” Association of Corporate Counsel, Kansas City, Missouri, April 10, 2019
- Chair, Kansas City Sports Commission Emerging Leaders Board
- Women’s White Collar Defense Association
- Kansas City Tomorrow Program (Class of 2020), KC Civic Council
- Nebraska Women’s Leadership Network
- Association of Women Lawyers
- Women’s Intersport Network Triathlon Planning Committee, 2015-2018
- Top Legal Innovation Award for Emerging Practice Area, Missouri Lawyers Weekly, 2020
- Up & Coming Award, Missouri Lawyers Weekly, 2019
- Selected for inclusion in Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers®, Rising Star, 2014-2016, 2019-2020
Contact Carly Duvall at 816.292.8330 or email@example.com.