Brian Peterson helps businesses, both large and small, avoid employment-related lawsuits by drafting and reviewing employee handbooks and policies and, conducting employee training programs.
In particular, Brian advises and provides training in areas ranging from the Family and Medical Leave Act and Americans with Disabilities Act to anti-harassment compliance training. He also advises businesses on how to properly perform individual terminations, as well as mass reductions in force.
Using his extensive knowledge and understanding of employment law, Brian defends businesses and individual managers that have been accused of unlawful discrimination and other employment law violations. He handles all aspects of employment litigation including wage and hour violations, sexual harassment claims, hostile work environment claims, retaliation claims, and whistleblower claims. Brian has significant labor relations experience and frequently advises businesses on how to avoid unionization and how to work effectively with unionized work forces.
Brian is co-editor of the Spencer Fane WorkSmarts: Workplace Solutions blog, as well as co-author of the annual updates to LexisNexis’ Labor and Employment Law in Nebraska: A Guide to Employment Laws, Regulations & Practices.
In addition, Brian has made multiple presentations and authored several publications in the area of Labor & Employment. Some of the more recent of these include:
- Supreme Court Affirms D.C. Circuits’ Noel Canning Decision, Hundreds of NLRB Decisions May Be Moot – June 30, 2014
- Kansas City Area Restaurants Targeted by Union Organizers – June 24, 2014
- HR Policies: Hot Ones to Have and to Avoid – Presentation at Spencer Fane Labor & Employment Seminars – May through June, 2014
- Lessons Learned from Employment Litigation and Claims – Presentation at Spencer Fane Labor & Employment Seminars – May through June, 2014
- Updated Matthew Bender’s Labor and Employment in Nebraska: A Guide to Employment Laws Regulations and Practices – 2014
- Supreme Court of Missouri Overrules Prior Case Law and Adopts “Contributing Factor” Causation Standard for Workers’ Comp. Retaliation Claims – May 6, 2014
- FMLA Leave – 7th Circuit Rejects Participation in Ongoing Treatment Requirement – March 25, 2014
- A Picture Is Worth One Thousand Words. But a Facebook Post Is Worth $80,000 – March 10, 2014
- Time Spent Donning and Doffing Personal Protective Equipment Not Compensable, According to U.S. Supreme Court – March 8, 2014
- For Steelworkers, Time Spent Donning and Doffing Protective Gear Not Compensable – February 4, 2014
- Free Speech Rights of Government Employees – More Limited Than You Might Think – December 13, 2014
- Workplace Dress Codes: The Issue We Love To Discuss But Hate To Manage – October 14, 2013
- “Sorry, Your Former Employee’s MHRA Claim Was Untimely, But You’re Too Late To Challenge It” – September 20, 2013
- The Best Lawyers in America, Ones to Watch, Labor and Employment Law – Management, 2021-2022
Contact Brian Peterson at 816.292.8107 or email@example.com.