Blake is a trial lawyer who helps clients through what is often the worst times of their lives: a lawsuit that might result in bankruptcy if the client loses. As an attorney experienced in bet-the-company litigation, Blake approaches these difficult situations with a fierce resolve to win for his clients. He recognizes the high-stress nature of these matters and partners closely with each client to help them avoid civil damages so they can stay in operation.
The conduct in these high-stakes disputes can result in parallel state or federal investigations. Blake works to prevent charges from ever being brought forward, or when charges are inevitable, he is focused on negotiating a resolution with the smallest penalty possible.
Blake also serves as a volunteer attorney through the firm’s partnership with the Missouri Coalition for the Right to Counsel.
- Retained 20 days before trial, Blake defended his clients against claims of fraud and violations of the Missouri Merchandising Practices Act. Plaintiff sought over $2,000,000 in damages. The jury returned a full verdict for the defense.
- Successfully defended clients against claims of non-compete violations, unfair competition, computer tampering, trade secret violations, conspiracy, and others. Plaintiff sought nearly $20,000,000 in damages. The jury returned a verdict for the defense on every major claim, awarding plaintiff only a nominal amount on an ancillary claim for $11,000.
- Successfully opposed a preliminary injunction that sought to restrain the administration of a multi-million dollar trust.
- Obtained a nearly million-dollar default judgment in the Southern District of New York after defendants’ repeated discovery violations.
- Negotiated a confidential pre-suit settlement on behalf of former professional athlete whose money had been stolen in a fraudulent investment scheme. The perpetrator was eventually sentenced to over 16 years in prison for wire fraud.
- Secured millions on behalf of class members who alleged defendants improperly withheld security deposit funds.
- Helped resolve claims related to a mass casualty event involving a tourism boat.
Previously, Blake interned for Judge Gary Witt of the Missouri Court of Appeals and for Judge Roseann Ketchmark of the United States District Court for the Western District of Missouri. While in law school, Blake served as a pro se writ clerk at the United States District Court for the Western District of Missouri and worked as an editor on the UMKC Law Review.
- Order of the Barristers
- American College of Trial Lawyers Medal for Excellence in Advocacy
Contact Blake Smith at 816.292.8260 or firstname.lastname@example.org.