Ayesha Mehdi works closely with physicians and other health care professionals, along with various health care and closely held businesses, in a wide range of corporate, transactional, regulatory, and licensure matters. Ayesha serves as outside counsel for her clients to help them reach their goals in physician employment, recruitment, mergers & acquisitions, and joint ventures, as well as providing solutions when dealing with professional board complaints, reimbursement issues, and corporate compliance.
As a partner in the health care group, Ayesha counsels clients on fraud and abuse; health information technology (HIT) and compliance, including the Stark II physician self-referral law, the Medicare/Medicaid anti-kickback statute, corporate practice and fee-splitting restrictions; antitrust; health information privacy and security (HIPAA and HITECH Act); and health care reimbursement. Ayesha also represents pharmacies, wholesalers, PSAOs, and pharmacy alliances regarding license issues, Nevada state pharmacy laws, Board of Pharmacy issues, and state DEA issues.
Mehdi received her Bachelor’s in Business Administration with honors in Finance from Walsh College of Accountancy and Business Administration, and her Master’s in Health Services Administration, as well as her Juris Doctorate degree, from the University of Kansas, where she currently serves on the law school’s Board of Governors. Mehdi speaks at regional and national seminars and conferences for both legal and health care associations, and is a pro bono attorney for the Children’s Attorney Project of Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada.
Prior to entering private practice, Ayesha served as a judicial intern for the Hon. Gloria Sturman in the Eighth Judicial District Court. Currently, she is the Vice Chair of the American Bar Association Health Law Section’s Fraud and Compliance interest group and active American Health Law Association Member, which selected her to its Leadership Development Program in 2019.
Presentations and Publications
- Contributed author, “False Claims Act Toolkit,” American Health Law Association’s Fraud and Abuse Practice Group (2020 update)
- “Deposition tips for Chiropractic Doctors,” Nevada Chiropractic Council (Feb. 2020)
- “2020 Employment Law Updates,” Nevada Medical Group Management Association Member Meeting (Feb. 2020)
- “Health care providers should consider HIPAA before responding to negative reviews,” Health Care Quarterly (Winter 2020)
- “Like a Legal Boss…. Sound Advice,” Motley Magazine, (Feb. 2020)
- “Balance Billing, Upcoming Legislation: What it Means, What to Ask Your Physician,” Health Care Quarterly (Winter 2019)
- “Lawyers, Docs, and Money: The Health Care Lawyer’s Guide to Legal Ethics in Physician Transactions,” American Health Law Association’s Fundamentals of Health Law Conference (Nov. 2019)
- “Suing a Doctor for Malpractice Isn’t the Get-Rich Plan TV Shows Make it out to be,” Health Care Quarterly (Spring 2019)
- “Understanding Physician Employment Agreements,” Nevada Medical Group Management Annual Conference (April 2019)
- “Taming Troublesome Terms: Solutions to Recurring Payer-Provider Contract Problems,” American Health Law Association’s Physicians and Hospitals Law Institute (Jan. 2019)
- “Defending Your Deposition” Tip and Techniques for a Less Painful Personal Injury Practice, State Bar of Nevada Seminar (Sept. 2018)
- American Health Law Association, Physician Organizations Practice Group
- Leadership Development Program for the Fraud and Abuse Practice Group (2019-2020)
- American Bar Association, Health and Business Law Sections
- Coordinating Committee on Diversity Vice-Chair
- Healthcare Fraud and Compliance Interest Group Vice Chair
- State Bar of Nevada, Insurance and Health Law Section
- Clark County Bar Association
- Vegas Inc 2020 Top Lawyers – Up and Coming
- Vegas Magazine Power Players 2020
- Women Who Wow: Real Women of Substance, Real Vegas Magazine, 2020
- MANAO Asian Women of Inspiration Award, 2020
- Adjunct Faculty, Department of Health Care Administration and Policy, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, 2010-2012
- Senior Staff Articles Editor, Kansas Journal of Law and Public Policy
- Recipient, William R. Scott Scholarship
- Health Law Moot Court, Southern Illinois University School of Law
Contact Ayesha Mehdi at 702.408.3416 or firstname.lastname@example.org.