Hon. Alvin Zimmerman is actively involved in family law: including trials, custody and marital agreements. He also serves as a mediator and arbitrator in Harris County, Texas, with extensive alternative dispute resolution (ADR) experience including business, family, health, construction, commercial, tort, employment, intellectual property (patent, trademark, and copyright), personal injury, franchise, probate, and oil and gas cases. He is a credentialed distinguished mediator (less than 200 in Texas) by the Texas Mediator Credentialing Association.
Alvin also serves as a special judge for hire, special master, ad litem and conducts investigations for educational institutions. He has participated in over 500 arbitrations and 3,000 mediations in his career.
Alvin’s broad-based legal experience includes presiding as a municipal court judge for the city of Houston, and, as a state district judge of the 269th (Civil) and 309th (Family) District Courts. He has also served as assistant attorney general for the state of Texas and briefing clerk for the Honorable Judge Ingraham, federal district judge for the Southern District of Texas. He received the Frank G. Evans Award as the outstanding ADR Professional in 2016 for his dedicated service to the profession from the State Bar of Texas – ADR Section.
In addition to his practice, Alvin has served on the board of directors of a national bank and was counsel to and on the board of directors of a New York Stock Exchange company. He is also active in many charitable organizations. In May 2000, he received the Anti-Defamation League’s Karen H. Susman Jurisprudence Award, which is presented annually to an outstanding member of the legal community who exhibits an exceptional commitment to equality, justice, fairness and community service.
Alvin received the University of Houston Distinguished Alumni Award in April 2009. This award is given to individuals who have distinguished themselves in their field of endeavor and whose accomplishments have brought credit to the university. Just over 150 alumni have received this honor.
Highlights of Alvin’s experience include:
- Mediated several high profile cases involving millions of dollars in dispute.
- Arbitrated many complex matters involving millions of dollars including franchise and beverage industry, hospital/insurance disputes.
- Overturned judgment in family law dispute
Presentations and Publications
- Frequent presenter in the fields of ADR and Family Law in Houston Bar Association, State Bar of Texas and Texas Mediator Credentialing Association (over 25 presentations)
- University of Houston Foundation, President
- Board of Directors of the Houston Symphony Orchestra, Former Member
- University of Houston Law Review Foundation, Director
- University of Houston Law Alumni Association, Emeritus Director
- University of Houston Board of Visitors, Member
- Fellow of the College of International Arbitrators
- Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Former President and Emeritus Member of the Board of Directors of the International Academy of Mediators
- Former Chair of the Family Law Section of the Houston Bar Association
- Former Chair of the ADR Section of the Houston Bar Association
- Former Vice President of the Houston Bar Foundation
- Former President of University of Houston Law Foundation and Emeritus Director
- Complex Litigation Panel – American Arbitration Association
- Former Board member of Texas Mediator Credentialing Association
- Commercial College of Arbitrators
- AV Preeminent® Top Rated Lawyer in Family Law by Martindale Hubbell (2005-2019)
- Texas Super Lawyers® (2003-2019)
- Best Lawyers in Houston, H Magazine (2005-2019)
- Best Lawyers in America® (2005-2020)
- Outstanding Adjunct Professor Award for teaching Contracts-South Texas College of Law
- Instructor AA White ADR course
- Faculty of the American Bar Association Family Law Trials
- Board Certified-Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Recipient-David Gibson Award for Professionalism and Excellence in Family Law/Gulf Coast
Contact Alvin Zimmerman at 713.212.2611 or email@example.com.