Adam Jourdane is a member of the firm’s Health Care practice area. He helps clients in the health care industry navigate simple and complex litigation and compliance issues so they can focus on delivering quality care to their patients.
Adam actively defends health care providers and institutions from medical malpractice lawsuits. He has representative experience in both Texas cases under Chapter 74 of the Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code and federal cases under 42 U.S.C. § 1983. In addition, he advises on federal laws like the Stark Law, Anti-Kickback Statute, EMTALA, False Claims Act, and HIPAA along with their state-law counterparts. He also advises health care clients on matters relating to Texas Medicaid, specifically areas relating to billing, coding, medical record reviews, and working with the Texas Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General on notices of potential overpayment and recoupment.
Adam brings with him a wealth of experience in compliance, reimbursement, and Texas Medicaid from having worked for two major health care institutions in Houston, Texas. He previously worked at Texas Children’s Health Plan (TCHP), a Texas Medicaid Managed Care Organization, as a Senior Fraud Investigator in the Controls and Compliance Department. In this role, he conducted investigations for the recoupment of overpaid funds relating to fraud, waste, and abuse. He often collaborated with the Office of the Attorney General and the Office of Inspector General to coordinate recoupment efforts. At TCHP, he obtained a Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt and frequently taught classes on reimbursement methodologies, medical coding (CPT, HCPCS, ICD-9, and ICD-10), and public payer reimbursement systems.
After demonstrating a mastery of public payer reimbursement systems at TCHP, he was promoted to the role of Senior Quality Improvement Specialist. In this role, he partnered with executives and leaders from across Texas Children’s Hospital System to improve clinical quality outcomes for the purpose of achieving National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) Initial Accreditation at TCHP.
Adam also previously worked at Memorial Hermann Health System (MHHS) as a Business Analyst. His role was to oversee the data infrastructure and reporting for three Delivery Systems Reform Incentive Payments (DSRIP) projects, valued at over $40M. The three projects focused on providing behavioral health resources to the underserved and indigent populations in and around Houston, Texas. He was also involved in Risk Management at the MHHS Prevention and Recovery Center facility where he facilitated multiple Root Cause Analyses, Apparent Cause Analyses, and Process Improvement Workouts.
Presentations and Publications
- Distinguished Alumni Panelist, University of Houston – Victoria, 2017
- “Consumption and International Strategic Leadership,” Central University of Finance and Economics, Beijing, China, 2015
- “Strategic Recommendations for Luby’s Inc.,” University of Houston – Victoria Spring 2015 MBA Conference, 2015
- Invited Presenter, Memorial Hermann Health System’s Third Annual High Reliability Robust Process Improvement Expo, 2015
- American Bar Association
- Texas Bar Association
- Texas Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Houston Association of Certificated Fraud Examiners
- National Society of Leadership and Success, Sigma Alpha Pi
- CALI Award of Excellence – Legal Research and Writing II
- First Place Winner in the Spring MBA Case Conference, 2015
- Awarded “Innovation Champion” at Memorial Hermann Health System, 2014
Contact Adam Jourdane at 713.212.2638 or firstname.lastname@example.org.