Mike McCann is the Chair of the firm’s Business & Finance group, concentrating in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, corporate, securities and trade associations and nonprofits.
Mike is a member of the Business Section (Negotiated Acquisitions Committee) and Tax Section of the American Bar Association, a member of the Corporate Law and Tax Committees of the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association and a member of the Legal Section of the American Society of Association Executives. Mike has been consistently recognized as one of Kansas City's "Best of the Bar" since 2002 and listed in Missouri Super Lawyers.
PRESENTATIONS & SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- "Legal Issues in Association Management," Association Management 101 sponsored by the Kansas City Society of Association Executives (April 2010)
- "The Purchase Agreement," Mastering Mergers & Acquisitions presented by National Business Institute (April 2010)
- "A 7 Stage Guide to Member Discipline," published in Association Law & Policy (October 2009)
- "Playing by the Rules: Maintaining Member and Officer Discipline," 2009 Annual Association Law Symposium sponsored by ASAE & The Center for Association Leadership (September 2009)
- "Protecting Officers, Directors and Managers," Tax and Business Answers for Nonprofits presented by National Business Institute (June 2006)
- "Subsidiaries," Tax and Business Answers for Nonprofits presented by National Business Institute (June 2006)
- "Fiduciary Duties, Rights, and Responsibilities," Corporate Organization and Operations published by the Missouri Bar (2005)
- "Introduction to Limited Liability Companies," Limited Liability Companies presented by National Business Institute (2004)
- “Real Estate Issues Related to Telecommunications and Cable Access to Buildings,” Current Issues in Real Estate Law presented by the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association (June 2000)
- “Anti-Trust Issues for Trade Associations,” Western Nursery & Landscape Association State Officers Conference (November 1998)
- “Ethical Considerations for the Business Lawyer,” Business Law Institute presented by the Missouri Bar (December 1997)
- “Limited Liability Everywhere: What to Advise the Client about the Choice of Limited Liability Entities,” Business Law Institute, presented by the Missouri Bar (December 1995)
- “Legal Issues Affecting Not for Profits” sponsored by the Missouri Society of Certified Public Accountants (June 1994)
- Mergers & Acquisitions: Mike has handled numerous acquisitions, dispositions and mergers ranging in size from less than $5 million to well over $100 million. His experience includes representing purchasers and sellers in the broadcast and cable television, printing, manufacturing, insurance, food processing, technology and software, mining, and building supply industries.
- Corporate: Mike’s practice often involves advising clients with respect to employment and executive compensation agreements, confidentiality and noncompete agreements, licensing and distribution agreements, joint venture agreements and the like. Mike also assists clients in tax planning, corporate governance, succession planning, and other similar legal issues. Mike co-authors the chapter on fiduciary duties in the Missouri Business Organizations desk book published by The Missouri Bar and is a frequent lecturer with respect to mergers and acquisitions and business structures.
- Securities: Mike has represented many clients with respect to capital raising activities, whether through private or public sales of equity or debt, convertible or hybrid securities, and convention bank debt.
- Trade Associations: Mike represents a wide variety of trade associations and other nonprofit entities and routinely advises such clients with respect to the formation and governance of these entities, tax exemptions and other tax issues such as unrelated business income, antitrust and trade regulation issues, hotel and convention center agreements, membership issues including member discipline and codes of ethics, and certification programs. Mike is a frequent lecturer and author on trade association issues and has served as a director of the Kansas City Society of Association Executives. In 1998, Mike received the Allied Member Award of Excellence from the Kansas City Society of Association Executives in recognition of his service to the trade association community.