Mark Thornhill represents individuals and organizations in white collar criminal and regulatory cases. His white collar work started as a prosecutor with the United States Department of Justice - Criminal Tax Section. At Spencer Fane, Mark has defended the full array of white collar cases - anti-trust, bank fraud, computer fraud, environmental, healthcare, mail fraud/wire fraud and tax evasion, among others. In regulatory cases, Mark has represented individuals and companies before the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Financial Institutions Regulatory Authority (FINRA), the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB), the Federal Reserve Bank and the Environmental Protection Agency.
Mark also conducts internal investigations. In an investigation for a large mid-west bank, Mark uncovered more than $1 million in fraudulent transactions by the bank president. Mark’s investigation for an IT company revealed more than $200,000 in unauthorized payments to the CEO. Mark investigated allegations of corruption in connection with medical research grants and in connection with the pricing of securities. Mark recently worked with the National Institute for Trial Advocacy to develop an internal investigation instructional program.
Mark's civil trial focus is on fiduciary duty cases. He has defended domestic and foreign companies or their directors in fiduciary duty trials in courts in the mid-west and in Delaware. These cases have included issues of cash-out mergers, customary practices in Europe, aiding and abetting, loyalty disputes and a broad range of evaluation techniques, among other issues. Mark also represents a national life and disability insurance company against lawsuits in mid-west states.
- Defense verdict in the Delaware Court of Chancery and on appeal for a Swiss company against claims of fiduciary breach and unlawful interference.
- Defense of a Native-American corporation in an investigation of federal criminal laws related to taxation.
- Defense of patent infringement claims tried before the International Trade Commission.
- Obtained court order quashing grand jury subpoena on basis of Fifth Amendment argument.
- Defense of accountant in investigation by the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (“PCAOB”).
- Internal investigation for not-for-profit organizations that were embezzlement victims.
- Defense of contractor in OSHA investigation of work-place fatality.
- 2017 University of Missouri – Kansas City Cockefair Chair Advisory Committee
- 2015-16 Vice Chair of the Board, Planned Parenthood of the Great Plains
- 2004-05 Chairman of the Board of Truman Medical Centers (Kansas City’s academic hospital)
- 1996 Chairman of the Board, Kansas City Free Health Clinic (Now Kansas City Care Clinic)
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America® since 2008 for White Collar Practice
- Selected as Best White Collar Lawyer in Western Missouri in 2014
- Selected to Super Lawyers® for Commercial Litigation Practice since 2007
Contact Mark Thornhill at 816.292.8119 or