Dave Kight is the Practice Group Leader of Spencer Fane's Labor and Employment Law Group and is Editor of the Labor and Employment Group's Human Resources Solutions blog. Dave is a member of the firm's Executive Committee. He is licensed to practice in Kansas, Missouri and Arkansas. He is a frequent author and speaker on employment, labor and social media issues.
He has a diversified practice that includes traditional labor relations matters, human resources consulting, employment and business litigation. His litigation practice includes business litigation in areas including franchise disputes, non-compete agreements, and contract disputes. His traditional labor relations practice includes representing management in traditional labor relations matters. He is a recognized leader in social media and employment law.
Dave was the 2006 – 2008 Chair of the Missouri Bar's Labor and Employment Law Committee.
He was awarded his law degree from the University of Louisville-Louis D. Brandeis School of Law, where he served as Managing Editor of The Brandeis Brief. He served on the American Bar Association-Law School Division Board of Governors where he received the ABA-LSD Gold Key Award. He received the Alex A. Hotchkiss Award from Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity. He received his bachelor’s degree in Political Science from the University of North Carolina-Charlotte, where he was Senior Staff Writer at The 49er Times.
- Contributing Editor - Employee Duty of Loyalty: A State by State Survey (pending 2012)
- Contributing Editor - Trade Secrets: A State by State Survey, Bureau of National Affairs (2011-present)
- Contributing Editor - Covenants Not to Compete: A State by State Survey, Bureau of National Affairs (2011-present)
- Contributing Editor - The Developing Labor Law, Bureau of National Affairs (2005-Present)
- Co-Author, "Section 7 and the Non-Union Employer" . Journal of the Missouri Bar (December 2011)
- Author - "Restrictive Employment Agreements" 1 Mo. Employer-Employee Law Sec. 17, (MoBar 3rd ed. 2008)
RECENT REPRESENTATIVE CASES
Human Resources Solutions blog
- Comm-Works Investment Holding Co. et. al. v. Wachter Technology Solutions, Inc., U.S. District Court of the District of Minnesota (non-compete)
- Jamaal Dorch v. Owens Corning, 2011 WL 4857932 (D. Kan. 2011) (employment discrimination)
- Sheldon v. Khanal, 2012 WL 5860560 (10th Cir. 2012) (breach of contract)
- Bank of America, N.A. v. UMB Financial Services, Inc., 618 F.3d 906 (8th Cir.(Mo.) August 26, 2010) (restrictive covenant)
- H&R Block Eastern Enterprises, Inc. v. Morris, 606 F.3d 1285 (11th Cir.(Ga.) May 17, 2010) (restrictive covenant)
- H & R Block Tax Services LLC v. Kutzman, 681 F.Supp.2d 1248 (D.Mont. Jan 26, 2010) 373 Fed. Appx. 797 (9th Cir. 2010) (restrictive covenant)
- My Nat. Tax & Ins. Services, Inc. v. H&R Block Tax Services, Inc., 2013 WL 500806 (D. Md. 2013) (breach of contract)
- Farmers Bank & Trust, N.A. v. Witthuhn, 2011 WL 1541317 (D. Kan. 2011) (restrictive covenant)